Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

cd player issues please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default cd player issues please help!!!

okay so I have a 2005 jeep grand Cherokee limited yes she's got a v8😄 but I have recently tried to replace the CD player with an aftermarket Pioneer one, I have wired together a couple CD players in my time and system's as well and this one has subs just ready to be wired up but can't get past this issue. The first problem I have run into is that the cd player wired up color matching won't turn the CD player on at all, but if you take the red and yellow from the deck and wire it in with the yellow constant it cuts right on but the key isn't even in the switch.. not good dead battery issues I can imagine. Also even when those wires are connected and the deck is on playing a cd or aux no freaking sound!! I don't have the antenna plugged to the back of the deck because it needs an adapter, didn't think it mattered but could this be the problem from the start?... I'm about to pull my hair out guys please please help me figure out this issue so my baby can vibe😁
Old 05-01-2017, 11:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure what factory system you have but mine in my 96 and 97 grand Cherokee have an amp under the back seat, the speaker wires go through it then to the speakers. So if you by chance hooked your probably 25 watts per channel speaker leads into a no power signal port something probably got fried. Or maybe it can take higher wattage but the amp may not be powered up now so no sound comes out, you said you color code matched the wiring, are you sure that they match correctly? Try the stereo with test speakers, then trace wires to make sure they are going where you want them.
I hooked up a pioneer in an 06 dodge truck, I also could not find a switched power lead or a lead for the stereo that powered only the clock or minimal power. I don't trust pioneer anymore, especially not the Walmart pioneers. But yeah its hard to really tell without being there, nothing smelled fried?
Old 05-02-2017, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nah nothing fried lol and yeah the CD player n even the harness came from ol wally world.. I think the amp is under the passenger seat but unsure how to give it power again. and yes all the colors as far as deck to adapter harness are right but the harness from the jeep looks odd like the power wire is like a red with an orange strip... idk
Old 05-02-2017, 01:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to bypass that factory amp with your speaker leads, if its anything at all like mine the "high power" factory amp is pushing a whopping 15 watts or less.I wouldn't think you can run speaker power into the amp. The red with the orange stripe should be switched power, but guessing isn't the right thing with electronics, use a meter or test light, or even look for wiring diagrams in your chiltons. I'm probably installing a stereo soon in one of my jeeps that has that amp, I'm going to either run new wire or test and trace existing wires and re purpose them if they are as heavy gauge as I like.
Without being there I cant say much, yours is a 2005? Mine is a 96 and 97, so I have nothing to refer to. Sometimes these guys that install stereos for a living are pretty cool and wont charge to much or will give free advice, its worth it to just pay a man for work and knowledge sometimes. Is there an electronics section on this forum site? You really aren't in the right spot for this question at all, lol
Old 05-04-2017, 09:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

pics?
Old 05-04-2017, 09:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

Its quite possible there is a cable that you an buy designed to patch a after market stereo into your existing wiring system. I have used them on several vehicles and it makes installation very easy.