Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Cb radio mounting

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7
Default Cb radio mounting

What's a good place to mount an antena on a jeep wj and what's the prices ideally entail
Old 03-24-2012, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by alexallen86
What's a good place to mount an antena on a jeep wj and what's the prices ideally entail
Process useally entail (stupid smart phone)
Old 03-24-2012, 10:57 PM

Model: Cherokee

Do you have the overhead console thing? (maybe all grands have it, i'm not 100% sure) On all of the cherokees I put them into, I build brackets to mount above the rear view mirror from the celing.

I've built some brackets that mount to the support behind the headliner, then cut slits in the headliner for the bracket to come through.

I've built others that mount into where the stock visor clips go and hold the radio from that point.

On my XJ, I installed a large plate behind the headliner that runs from the rear view mirror to the dome light. Anything that I want to mount there, I can just run self tapping screws through and secure it.

I haven't decided where I'm going to put it in the ZJ I just got. It has the overhead console... Might have to break down and put it vertical on the side of the hump between the seats... That's by far my least favorite place.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:04 PM

I'm talking more like whips where good places to mount them are on the wj I was thinking of using the antena stock point and putting really long whip on and tiring it to my roof rack but no idea if that's even good
Old 03-24-2012, 11:08 PM

whoops, didn't see that it was a WJ... I can't say I've put one in them yet... Maybe same place above the rear view mirror using the screw holes for the visor clips...

When I build those, I use some 1/2" square tube, drill two holes that match the visor clip screw holes. Then I weld on two pieces of 1/2" square tube at a downward angle so they reach the holes in the side of the radio. Then you can weld a small piece of plate, or just drill a hole in the square tube. You could also just forget the 1/2" square pieces at an angle, and just use flat bar welded to the first piece of square. When you mount the radio, you just sandwich the new mount between the visor clip and the headliner. You need a little longer screws of course.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:14 PM

hahahaha! I really should read better before I respond

Antennas...

I love through-roof mounts as they give the easiest match and most equal transmission pattern. Many times when you mount on the side, you get a very directional pattern. Of course, that means that you have to drop the headliner a bit and drill a hole. If you ever take the mount out you can just put a plug in there though.

They sell "gum drop" style mounts and "puck" style mounts that are both perfect for that kind of installation. Keep in mind that if you do that, you have to put a decent sized plate on the inside of the roof to distribute the load. I've had mounts tear holes in the roof after a while when a plate wasn't used.

I generally use a 4'-5' fiberglass antenna because they are pretty strong, and use a heavy duty spring on it to allow it to hit things without damaging the antenna (like trees, parking garage ceilings, drive throughs, etc...
Old 03-24-2012, 11:16 PM

If you use the roof rack to mount an antenna, make sure the rack is very well grounded. Antennas need a good DC ground as well as RF ground (ground plane for the antenna). Some people just use a wire and ground the rack to the body, but I would personally ground it using braided strap in a couple of locations. (all 4 corners if you were ever going to run a linear amplifier or high powered radio)
Old 03-24-2012, 11:53 PM

Well you deffinatly gave me some great ideas thanks!
Old 03-25-2012, 08:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0l inline 6

If you use the fender (original antenna mount) then you may have to make a beefy mount to go on the inside of the fender. I would want a more solid mounting point then just the fender, more if your going to use a whip.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2016
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 5.7l HEMI

I fashioned a 3x1" flat bracket out of a Strong-Tie I bought at Lowes. I drilled a hole for the antenna to mount to, then used sheet metal screws to attach it to the body inside the left rear tail light lense assembly at the top. This way i can still open the tail gate and it is out of site of my rear view mirros. THen ran the cable down, inside the tail gate and down into the bumper cover then into the body. I have a 52" oil filled whip and have no problems. I'll post a pic of it later.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:09 PM

Year: 2002
Engine: 4.0L

The radio setup in my WJ.

Maldol MHC-6S 6-Band antenna and Diamond K400S mount

another view

Part of the radio (ICOM 706MKIIG). Detachable faceplates make life so much easier..

The rest of the radio (waiting for the mount to show up), tuner (LDG AT-7000), and duplexer.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by GI-Jeepin'
I fashioned a 3x1" flat bracket out of a Strong-Tie I bought at Lowes. I drilled a hole for the antenna to mount to, then used sheet metal screws to attach it to the body inside the left rear tail light lense assembly at the top. This way i can still open the tail gate and it is out of site of my rear view mirros. THen ran the cable down, inside the tail gate and down into the bumper cover then into the body. I have a 52" oil filled whip and have no problems. I'll post a pic of it later.
What's the advantage of an oil filled whip
Old 03-25-2012, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2016
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 5.7l HEMI

Its is supposed to handle 1000 watts. Oil is to keep the coil cool. Looks cool for free. And it works pretty good with my Cobra 19.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:17 PM

I have a cobra 25 and a 148 don't know which to use the 148s pa feature doesn't work tho so idk
Old 03-26-2012, 02:05 AM

Opinions on those 2?

Quick Reply: Cb radio mounting