Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

brake lights go out

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default brake lights go out

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums, so bear with me. I'm a mechanic by trade, forklift field technician to be more specific (at least 3 decades of experience), work on my own autos, trucks, motorcycles,etc.. Recently, I had this problem with my wife's 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, when the running lights were on, the third brake light would glow dim but glow, when the brake pedal was applied, the brake lights would go out. If the running lights were off and the brake pedal was applied the brake lights would work normal. Checked to make sure correct bulbs were installed (the last time I replaced them), yes correct bulb, wiring checked good, brake switch tested good, by the way I was testing all of this in 29 degree weather,in the dark (after my wife got home from work), outside in the driveway. The next day I thought I would go to the local auto parts store and check price and availability on brake switch (knowing that it had tested good),the store had one in stock, ten USD and some change with my discount. Got home, R&R (removed and replaced) brake switch. No more brake light problem. One more thing, seems like the right hand side brake light is the usually the only light bulb that seems to burn out on a regular basis. I apply dielectric grease before installing any bulb. Hope this helps some others with similiar issue. I've only recently used the forums for some diagnostic help,tons of useful info here, very happy it is here. Thanks. 2000 JGC has 225,000 miles on it, with original transmission.