Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!
Old 09-21-2015, 04:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

Brake Light Works, Tail Lights Done (Both)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Exclamation Brake Light Works, Tail Lights Done (Both)

Hey guys,

Both of my brake lights work but my tail lights do not. I checked the bulbs and all and it looks pretty good.

Any other ideas before I get wild with those wires?

I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo.

Thank you so much!

Last edited by eric123; 11-04-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:44 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L Laredo
Default Brake Light Works, Tail Lights Done (Both)

Check fuses.. Did your lights suddenly quit? Are the sockets rust free and grounded well?
When I bought my Jeep, one headlight was burnt (just hi beam) so I popped it out and took it up to get a new one. New one did NOT work either. After a closer look at the other (working side) I discovered that the PO had put the wrong bulb in it.
If the Jeep is new to you, make sure they are the correct bulbs.
Good Luck
Old 11-13-2011, 06:36 PM

Engine: 4.7L

I also have a 99 GC Laredo i had the opposite problem my running lights worked but the brake lights did not, I took the bulb socket out of the tail light assembly and lifted the contact points just a little to make sure the socket was making good contact. This worked and now both the tail lights and the brake lights work without a problem.
Hope this helps
-Don
Old 11-13-2011, 06:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by bigdhall
I also have a 99 GC Laredo i had the opposite problem my running lights worked but the brake lights did not, I took the bulb socket out of the tail light assembly and lifted the contact points just a little to make sure the socket was making good contact. This worked and now both the tail lights and the brake lights work without a problem.
Hope this helps
-Don
same here with out my lights on - brake lights worked
with light on, hitting the brakes - all lghts went out, except the high brake
light. Light socket were burnt and not making ground. Replace socket - good to go.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:14 PM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

i have a 99 GC Laredo as well. same problem, but all grounds and sockets are new and/or replaced recently. nothing seems to fix the problem. it's either i get running lights, or brake lights, and when the running lights are on, and i hit the brakes, they all turn off. i may have to go buy more sockets... hope not. anyone have any idea how much the things cost? and if the local parts store would have any in stock? i have to say though, i live in a town with a population of 800. in the winter. 2500 or more in the summer. snow bird galore. but we have a car-quest. amazingly.

so how would i go about replacing the things the easy/right way?

is there anything i could do to make sure they don't go out again??

and last of all, would it be easier to upgrade the light lenses to LEDs while i'm there anyways?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Have you installed an aftermarket stereo lately?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by 96XJ-Mountaineer
i have a 99 GC Laredo as well. same problem, but all grounds and sockets are new and/or replaced recently. nothing seems to fix the problem. it's either i get running lights, or brake lights, and when the running lights are on, and i hit the brakes, they all turn off. i may have to go buy more sockets... hope not. anyone have any idea how much the things cost? and if the local parts store would have any in stock? i have to say though, i live in a town with a population of 800. in the winter. 2500 or more in the summer. snow bird galore. but we have a car-quest. amazingly.

so how would i go about replacing the things the easy/right way?

is there anything i could do to make sure they don't go out again??

and last of all, would it be easier to upgrade the light lenses to LEDs while i'm there anyways?
There is circuit board in the tailight housing that goes bad. Just order a pair off eBay cheap. Dealer charges over $100 for 1 tailight.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:29 AM

Look up the application for the bulbs and make sure the right ones are in there. I've seen guys throw in the wrong bulbs because they had them and they fit but didn't realize they were the wrong application. Start there. If everything is cool there, you'll need to start troubleshooting wiring. Did you take a test light and make sure you have power on the sockets where you're supposed to have it? That would be my next step. You might find the headlight switch may have a problem too since it turns on the rear parking lights as well.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by 99jgcwj
There is circuit board in the tailight housing that goes bad. Just order a pair off eBay cheap. Dealer charges over $100 for 1 tailight.
i have replaced all lighting, sockets, bulbs, and wiring. to OEM specs, working on trouble shooting now. thanks!
Old 05-03-2012, 05:09 PM

Pull the headlight switch and see if any of the wiring is melted at the plug. It would suck to trace all the wiring to find the problem there. The problem could also be internal in the switch.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:52 AM

okay so i found something out in the new parts that really bothered me. after 12 hours of driving and piddling with it trying to address a weird motor issue, the light sockets seem to be shorting out or something weird because on tab on all of them looks burnt and the plug in style light bulb (OEM replacement supposedly) is literally melting. i rechecked the wiring through my Hanes manual, and it's a word for word copy, it looks exactly as it should stock. anyone have any idea what would cause the light bulb's plastic to melt at one contact??? maybe faulty ground?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:11 PM
CF Veteran

Bad connection= resistance= heat= melted plastic.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:38 PM

thanks, i was wondering if it could have been a bad ground at first, i'm no wiring expert, but i know when something is messed up, and that... was messed up..... i really can't figure out what the whole issue is with the brake/running lights.....
Old 12-29-2015, 05:30 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.o i-6
Lightbulb no running lights, dash lights or tail lights

i have a 00 jeep cherokee xj sport. i replaced all tail lights and marker ( running /turn signal lights) the hazards work, the turn signals work, but no running lights with head lights on or off. I checked the head light plunger, replaced all lights and still no tail/running lights when the head lights are on and off. the fuses are good, the brake light works when i hit the brakes but don't work at low power, not sure if the back up lights work ( hard to see them when you work alone) i have heard to check the light ground wire located in one of the side walls behind the side panel in back or under carpet?? and is the dash light ground connected to anything under the dash or behind the cluster? help help help this is my first jeep and im not great at electrical due to im color blind any help would be great
Old 12-30-2015, 01:24 PM
CF Veteran

Did you happen to install a new stereo before the lights quit working?

Quick Reply: Brake Light Works, Tail Lights Done (Both)