Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Blinkers wont work

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Blinkers wont work

I have 1996 Grand cherokee laredo I6
My problem is my hazards work but neither of my blinkers do. So far I have replaced the relay next to the fuse panel. I have also tried replacing the blinker arm switch. Neither of these worked. I am wondering where the most likely connection point is that may be loose are broken. Since I have own the jeep whcih is around 1 month the blinkers have worked one day I have had it. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The flasher relay that controls the blinkers doesn't use a standard 30/40 amp relay such as used for the starter.

AFAIK, The OEM isn't manufactured any longer. The part number should be 56007243. I've seen used OEM's on eBay. If you haven't already replaced with the correct type of flasher relay. (iirc 96 is upper right side of fuse panel on the passenger side. 95 it's behind the glove compartment.

Look for an aftermarket relay with a part number EP27 that also works with LED's. Autozone has one for the 96 ZJ with part number EP39.

https://www.autozone.com/electrical-...8_642216_11714

Ebay has EP27's from China for as little as $3.49 https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pin-EP27-...72.m2749.l2649

Last edited by Muddz; 11-23-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Muddz
The flasher relay that controls the blinkers doesn't use a standard 30/40 amp relay such as used for the starter.

AFAIK, The OEM isn't manufactured any longer. The part number should be 56007243. I've seen used OEM's on eBay. If you haven't already replaced with the correct type of flasher relay. (iirc 96 is upper right side of fuse panel on the passenger side. 95 it's behind the glove compartment.

Look for an aftermarket relay with a part number EP27 that also works with LED's. Autozone has one for the 96 ZJ with part number EP39.

https://www.autozone.com/electrical-...8_642216_11714

Ebay has EP27's from China for as little as $3.49 https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pin-EP27-...72.m2749.l2649

yes this has been done already. It's not the relay. Is there another connection that goes bad in these blinker systems?
Old 11-24-2018, 07:12 PM
Seasoned Member

The wiring diagram for my 95 ZJ shows the flasher relay has power from Fuse 16 and Fuse 3. The flasher relay is then connected to the multi-function switch on the steering column. I don't have a wiring diagram for the 96 where the flasher relay iirc is located upper right of the fuse box behind the passenger kick panel.

The flasher relay of a 95 and I think 94 can be access through the glove compartment.

On my 98 XJ I remember if one bulb burnt out would effect all the blinkers.

My 95 also has a lamp outage module located in the rear on the drivers side behind the spare tire. I'm uncertain if it only effects the rear lights.

Other causes I can think of off-hand of exterior lighting not working such as for the blinkers is corroded wiring, bent pins and/or corrosion of any wiring that has plug ins and corroded sockets.

Exterior lamps most are monitored by the VIC which will produce errors such as burnt out lamps, incorrect voltage and current, etc.

The VIC is connected to the switch for the turn signals.

Diagram 95 ZJ - Exterior Lamps Circuits W/ Lamp Outage (there is another diagram for 95 ZJ that don't have a Lamp Outage Module)

Last edited by Muddz; 11-25-2018 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:10 PM

The wiring diagram for my 95 ZJ shows the flasher relay has power from Fuse 16 and Fuse 3. The flasher relay is then connected to the multi-function switch on the steering column. I don't have a wiring diagram for the 96 where the flasher relay iirc is located upper right of the fuse box behind the passenger kick panel.

The flasher relay of a 95 and I think 94 can be access through the glove compartment.

My 95 also has a lamp outage module located in the rear on the drivers side behind the spare tire. I'm uncertain if it only effects the rear lights.

Other causes I can think of off-hand of exterior lighting not working such as for the blinkers is corroded wiring, bent pins and/or corrosion of any wiring that has plug ins and corroded sockets.

Exterior lamps most are monitored by the VIC which will produce errors such as burnt out lamps, incorrect voltage and current, etc.

The VIC is connected to the switch for the turn signals.

Diagram 95 ZJ - Exterior Lamps Circuits W/ Lamp Outage (there is another diagram for 95 ZJ that don't have a Lamp Outage Module)
right on thanks. That gives me something to work with. Keep ya posted
Old 11-30-2018, 01:53 PM

I found this connector back there unplugged and it has 12 volts to it. Any idea what it is for

Old 11-30-2018, 04:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Where's "back there"?

You there should be a LOM (lamp outage module) that should be tested. (there's a small door in the corner behind the spare tire, remove the door for access to the LOM).

Also what does your VIC display?

Last edited by Muddz; 11-30-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:44 PM

Where's "back there"?

You there should be a LOM (lamp outage module) that should be tested. (there's a small door in the corner behind the spare tire, remove the door for access to the LOM).

Also what does your VIC display?
this is behind that door you are speaking about. In the pic above I dont see a module. VIC doesnt work.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Well, I don't know, a service manual shows some ZJ's come with a LOM while others don't. However if you have a VIC it may be likely you have a LOM?

Appears someone messed with the wring to the rear taillights. Are all the exterior lamps working? Sometimes the sockets and wiring becomes corroded and need to be cleaned up or replaced.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:08 PM

Well, I don't know, a service manual shows some ZJ's come with a LOM while others don't. However if you have a VIC it may be likely you have a LOM?

Appears someone messed with the wring to the rear taillights. Are all the exterior lamps working? Sometimes the sockets and wiring becomes corroded and need to be cleaned up or replaced.
my vic doesnt have digital readout just a car diagram with lights. Also I know it's not the sockets cuz hazards flash and work. My jeep doesnt have a lom I dont think because it doesnt have the digital readout type display. So basically I'm probably just chasing down a bad wire
Old 12-03-2018, 04:22 PM

UPDATE:
OK so this is going to be a little confusing so I will be setting a outline for you
Flasher A: Original Flasher
Flasher B: Aftermarket Brand new from autozone
Flasher C: Pulled from junkyard.

So I will be recapping the whole situation so maybe I can get some new insight.

I bought a 1996 Jeep grand cherokee laredo 4x4 I6 242 cu in. about one month ago. Car had hazards that worked but blinkers that didn't. This car has flasher A in it at the time of purchase.

I figured the first step I could do to try and fix the problem was install Flasher B. This did not solve the problem. The blinkers did in fact work (properly I might add, flashing the way they should) for one day a few days after install of new flasher. Then they did not work again. Alright so I figure maybe it is the arm switch on steering column so I go to the junkyard, grab the nicest one I can find. Still only hazards work no blinkers. I have been chasing wires the last couple weeks and just having no luck whatsoever.

Today I went to the junkyard for something else and figured hey why not grab a flasher. So we grab Flasher C and install it. Boom wahlah now my blinkers hazards all illuminate when the switch is engaged but no flashing. This relay i grabbed had same part number as original that was with jeep. So I am both happy and sad. Now I wont get pulled over for no blinker but also the problem is not completely fixed.

So I figured out the problem lies somewhere in the relay. I think. I am tempted to go buy a brand new stock relay but the only thing that is stopping me is the fact that the blinkers worked intermittently properly the way they should for that one day after Flasher B install.

Theories:

Maybe Flasher C was faulty and is somehow letting current pass through to cause an illumination where a good relay doesn't because something in my system is messed up.
Also maybe there is some sort of dead short somewhere. I checked voltage to relay terminals and it was good.

Ok so another update Flasher C is now doing the same as flasher b and a which is weird because I was literally swapping them back and forth and flasher a would flash hazards and nothing for blinkers and flasher c would illuminate hazards and blinkers but not flash and now flasher c is flashing hazards but not blinkers. So confused

Last edited by KYLESJEEP24; 12-04-2018 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:49 PM

I believe my reverse lights don't work either. other than that all lights work
Old 12-04-2018, 04:01 AM
Seasoned Member

So your VIC doesn't display the time and date, any messaging, etc.? Does it display anything from the diagram such as lamps that aren't working, door ajar, etc.?

I don't think Mopar manufactures the OEM stock flasher any longer. Perhaps you can find a used or new old stock from eBay.

I'm trying to remember what's connected to the reverse backup lamps. From what I'm able to remember, the neutral safety switch and a day / night auto-dim mirror is connected to backup lights. Why you don't have backup lights I don't know. On my XJ one could sometimes adjust the neutral safety switch until the backup lamps worked. The ZJ uses a different type of neutral safety switch which I don't believe can be adjusted?

On my XJ I seem to remember when one exterior lamp such as directional failed would effect the behavior of the other directionals, such as flashing very fast, not flashing at all, etc.

You need to take a look at the entire circuit for the directionals and how it's incorporated with the other exterior lighting such the brake and backup lights, 3rd brake light, headlamps, fog lights, etc. As many of the circuits aren't completely isolated from one another and perhaps are interconnected.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:31 PM

So your VIC doesn't display the time and date, any messaging, etc.? Does it display anything from the diagram such as lamps that aren't working, door ajar, etc.?

I don't think Mopar manufactures the OEM stock flasher any longer. Perhaps you can find a used or new old stock from eBay.

I'm trying to remember what's connected to the reverse backup lamps. From what I'm able to remember, the neutral safety switch and a day / night auto-dim mirror is connected to backup lights. Why you don't have backup lights I don't know. On my XJ one could sometimes adjust the neutral safety switch until the backup lamps worked. The ZJ uses a different type of neutral safety switch which I don't believe can be adjusted?

On my XJ I seem to remember when one exterior lamp such as directional failed would effect the behavior of the other directionals, such as flashing very fast, not flashing at all, etc.

You need to take a look at the entire circuit for the directionals and how it's incorporated with the other exterior lighting such the brake and backup lights, 3rd brake light, headlamps, fog lights, etc. As many of the circuits aren't completely isolated from one another and perhaps are interconnected.
In my zj the time and date and temp is all on a overhead digital readout that doesnt work either. But on my vic below heater gauges it's like analog just shows a jeep outline with lights that light up for 2wd and wheel drive. And has a bunch of icons that immlminate to show you if you are in 2w or 4wd. None of those work just the jeep in the middle illuminates the tires that are in drive. It's the old style before digital readout. Yeah I know next step is I'm going to buy a toner and check everything for continuity. But that flasher thing threw me off I almost think it has something to do with it
Old 12-07-2018, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by KYLESJEEP24
In my zj the time and date and temp is all on a overhead digital readout that doesnt work either. But on my vic below heater gauges it's like analog just shows a jeep outline with lights that light up for 2wd and wheel drive. And has a bunch of icons that immlminate to show you if you are in 2w or 4wd. None of those work just the jeep in the middle illuminates the tires that are in drive. It's the old style before digital readout. Yeah I know next step is I'm going to buy a toner and check everything for continuity. But that flasher thing threw me off I almost think it has something to do with it
Also I have no lighting outage module in the rear. But there is that plug I posted a pic of before. There is nothing for it to plug into.

Quick Reply: Blinkers wont work