Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

bigger throttle body, worth it or na?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7 HO
Default bigger throttle body, worth it or na?

i talked to summit and the guy said all i really need is cold air intake, programmer, and exhaust unless i modify cam/heads.

i asked about high flow cats, throttle body spacers(he said very minimal gain), throttle body, all to which he said he doesnt recommend unless modifying cam/heads. he didnt say u wouldnt see gains or anything but basically not worth the $ until u upgrade cam/heads

i was considering doing the throttle body, so should i skip it? what do you think?

now im just looking for an exhaust that wont rust =/
Old 12-20-2011, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

ive been told and research and noticeability with my camaros but a larger throttle body will help out, better throttle response. i know on my camaros ive bumped up and normally noticed a little but when i did a larger throttle body ive pulled the intake to match it and P&P heads and larger injectors, so ive never noticed the TB alone. if anyone has any input i would appreciate it as im interested in getting a larger TB for my 4.0
Old 12-20-2011, 09:42 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L HO

can u get a performance cam for the jeep?....
Also yes get a bored tb and a cai no programmer
Old 12-20-2011, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
ive been told and research and noticeability with my camaros but a larger throttle body will help out, better throttle response. i know on my camaros ive bumped up and normally noticed a little but when i did a larger throttle body ive pulled the intake to match it and P&P heads and larger injectors, so ive never noticed the TB alone. if anyone has any input i would appreciate it as im interested in getting a larger TB for my 4.0
ya TB and intake are bolt ons for camaro and see huge benefits but im not sure with anything else. the summit guy said the stock TB isnt the choke point, which tells me (so long as he is correct) larger might see benefits, but unless u do some engine mods, probably should save the $

problem is, idk if he is right.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Is the summit guy trying to get you to spend more money or are the two options the same price?
Old 12-20-2011, 10:48 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by cruzer
i talked to summit and the guy said all i really need is cold air intake, programmer, and exhaust unless i modify cam/heads.

i asked about high flow cats, throttle body spacers(he said very minimal gain), throttle body, all to which he said he doesnt recommend unless modifying cam/heads. he didnt say u wouldnt see gains or anything but basically not worth the $ until u upgrade cam/heads

i was considering doing the throttle body, so should i skip it? what do you think?

now im just looking for an exhaust that wont rust =/
If you get an intake the TB should be a good mod, it will make for better throttle response and can flow more volume at the same rate, as long as its not restricted before or after the TB... So an intake will make better use of the larger throttle body, and both will have gains. but wont make it a racecar... there are people on here who can bore them and sell them for pretty cheap in the FS section.

The programmers I have heard mixed reviews on, but IMO they are more money then they are worth, the factory has it down pretty good to start with for an unmodified motor...

High flow cats are kind of a joke. all cats are high flow, they don't restrict the exhaust like most people think, If it makes you feel better to have one great, But I also wouldn't put my money into one.

I also don't believe TB spacers do anything for a modern fuel injected vehicle. for carburetors sure as the fuel has more time to mix with air, but on a modern engine the fuel is injected per cylinder and at precise timing and volume, the spacer isn't really doing anything...

Originally Posted by UsmclovesXJ
can u get a performance cam for the jeep?....
Yes you can.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0

A member on here does bored throttle bodies every body said there worth it
Old 12-21-2011, 01:15 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

I'm running a bored throttle body and wouldn't think twice about doing it again. Definately worth it. Very noticable difference. TB spacer, not so much. I have stock exhaust, head, and cam.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by rideordie66
Is the summit guy trying to get you to spend more money or are the two options the same price?
no he was saving me money he said dont buy the throttle body
Old 12-21-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Gorillaxj
If you get an intake the TB should be a good mod, it will make for better throttle response and can flow more volume at the same rate, as long as its not restricted before or after the TB... So an intake will make better use of the larger throttle body, and both will have gains. but wont make it a racecar... there are people on here who can bore them and sell them for pretty cheap in the FS section.

The programmers I have heard mixed reviews on, but IMO they are more money then they are worth, the factory has it down pretty good to start with for an unmodified motor...

High flow cats are kind of a joke. all cats are high flow, they don't restrict the exhaust like most people think, If it makes you feel better to have one great, But I also wouldn't put my money into one.

I also don't believe TB spacers do anything for a modern fuel injected vehicle. for carburetors sure as the fuel has more time to mix with air, but on a modern engine the fuel is injected per cylinder and at precise timing and volume, the spacer isn't really doing anything...

Yes you can.
thanks for all the info! i was for sure doing programmer cuz i have an automatic