Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Bb install quote at 360$.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 03:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Called some shops here and apparently for new tires mounted, a 2in bb and an alignment it's $360. Is that high?
Old 02-03-2012, 03:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0

Are you buying the kit? Are they supplying the lift? If your supplying the kit and your getting it installed thats way to much you can do it in one day by your self is easy
Old 02-03-2012, 03:45 PM

I'm supplying everything
Old 02-03-2012, 04:15 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: I6 4.0

Then thats alot of money you can do it your self for way less than thay
Old 02-03-2012, 04:32 PM

I'm just afraid I'd break something
Old 02-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 242CI 4.0L I6

really, there isnt much you can break... I did my lift in a day and I'm still running stock tires. I had to deal with surface rust here in Pa. A couple sockets, wrenchs and a ratchet you should be good. maybe spring compressor.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by BMac329
really, there isnt much you can break... I did my lift in a day and I'm still running stock tires. I had to deal with surface rust here in Pa. A couple sockets, wrenchs and a ratchet you should be good. maybe spring compressor.
I'm gonna have to look into it
Old 02-03-2012, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 stright 6

that's a fair price that's about what i would charge
Old 02-03-2012, 05:15 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

alignment not needed. all they can adjust is your toe in or out, and unless you have choppy tires or uneven wear signifigantly on the front, an alignment is a waste. the rear cannot be aligned so if they are getting you for a 4 wheel alignment, thats a red flag that this shop is milking your wallet in the first place.

a budget boost is simple, and if you have paitence and basic understanding of the steering geometry of a car, you could do it yourself. but be prepared to have an extra set of hands available to help you do something if need arises.

otherwise, id say a four hour charge from a local shop is about the rate for a budget boost install, even though they might be done in two hours...they do have some tools in the shop to make a job easier than you do at home.

the price for your tire mounting varies from shop to shop, but the price is a no brainer, unless your paying them to simply put the wheels and tires on the jeep, not actually mount them, your simply throwing money away in a task so simple my mom could do it.

hope this helps. good luck
Old 02-03-2012, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by fastman454
alignment not needed. all they can adjust is your toe in or out, and unless you have choppy tires or uneven wear signifigantly on the front, an alignment is a waste. the rear cannot be aligned so if they are getting you for a 4 wheel alignment, thats a red flag that this shop is milking your wallet in the first place.

a budget boost is simple, and if you have paitence and basic understanding of the steering geometry of a car, you could do it yourself. but be prepared to have an extra set of hands available to help you do something if need arises.

otherwise, id say a four hour charge from a local shop is about the rate for a budget boost install, even though they might be done in two hours...they do have some tools in the shop to make a job easier than you do at home.

the price for your tire mounting varies from shop to shop, but the price is a no brainer, unless your paying them to simply put the wheels and tires on the jeep, not actually mount them, your simply throwing money away in a task so simple my mom could do it.

hope this helps. good luck
The tires on my jeep do show wear on the front that is associated with needing an alignment. I think I need to call more places and get a lot more quotes
Old 02-03-2012, 05:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L

Expensive but thats what shops charge, so its a fair price to pay a shop to do it
Old 02-03-2012, 05:39 PM

ok. sounds good. just be careful being priced for alignments...as i said, unless you have adjustable control arms(which you dont if its stock) and adjustable ball joints(which you dont again if its stock) all they can adjust in an alignment is the tie rods, which simply moves the toe in and out(picture it by two straight lines moving into or away from each other). and actually a toe adjustment is simple itself too. you could do that without any worry about messing anything up with a couple wrenches and a pair of channel locks(seriously, three tools tops)

also, its always good to know that some choppiness on the front tires is common on any vehicle with a solid front axle. especially if you are past a 3000 mile rotation schedule. the choppiness occures because the wheels can not tilt(camber) in and out as you turn, so they actually have more friction applied to them in a turn compared to a vehicle with independent front suspension. choppiness can be cured by a more frequent rotation schedule, recommended at 3000 miles of course.

you can measure your need for toe adjustment with a tape measure and a flat ended stick such as a ruler at home by yourself, you can search youtube or forums for info as to checking your alignment needs yourself.

just trying to save you from an unneeded alignment, as these places are just trying to make a quick buck.

knowledge is power my friend
Old 02-03-2012, 08:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L

Originally Posted by fastman454
ok. sounds good. just be careful being priced for alignments...as i said, unless you have adjustable control arms(which you dont if its stock) and adjustable ball joints(which you dont again if its stock) all they can adjust in an alignment is the tie rods, which simply moves the toe in and out(picture it by two straight lines moving into or away from each other). and actually a toe adjustment is simple itself too. you could do that without any worry about messing anything up with a couple wrenches and a pair of channel locks(seriously, three tools tops)

also, its always good to know that some choppiness on the front tires is common on any vehicle with a solid front axle. especially if you are past a 3000 mile rotation schedule. the choppiness occures because the wheels can not tilt(camber) in and out as you turn, so they actually have more friction applied to them in a turn compared to a vehicle with independent front suspension. choppiness can be cured by a more frequent rotation schedule, recommended at 3000 miles of course.

you can measure your need for toe adjustment with a tape measure and a flat ended stick such as a ruler at home by yourself, you can search youtube or forums for info as to checking your alignment needs yourself.

just trying to save you from an unneeded alignment, as these places are just trying to make a quick buck.

knowledge is power my friend
you can adjust front caster via the misalignment washer
Old 02-04-2012, 04:20 PM

I was hoping the fact that I needed an alignment was why my steering feels weird. If I hit a bump I can feel the tires kind of shimmy slightly back and fourth. I'm guessing something is worn? Any idea what might be wrong than? The steering is very slightly loose too.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:40 PM

Loose steering components could definitely cause the loose steering. Have someone wobble your steering back and forth (with the jeep OFF) while you look underneath the front at all the components and you will know when one is loose

Quick Reply: Bb install quote at 360$.