Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Bad Ignition Key Lock Cylinder???

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default Bad Ignition Key Lock Cylinder???

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee. So I jumped in the jeep after work, went to turn the key, and there was absolutely no tension when turning the key. The key slips, and there is no resistance in the key cylinder. And of course my jeep would not start! Had the battery tested, which tested out just fine. When you turn the key the starter doesn't click or anything. All the accessories work fine, so it's not a bad ignition switch. So... I'm thinking it has to be a bad key lock cylinder in the ignition because it is slipping and isn't cranking the starter. Any help or input would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: i6 HO

there is a little metal tab in there that might be broke or like you said a bad cylinder. just take apart your column till you can take the cylinder out.well thats what i would do.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by 4x4cherokeexj
there is a little metal tab in there that might be broke or like you said a bad cylinder. just take apart your column till you can take the cylinder out.well thats what i would do.
X2. You can get the ignition cylinder kit from NAPA and the dealer, but you will have to code it to your key. It is easy to do, you have to grind the end of the old cylinder assembly off in order to pull the core out. Then you pull one tumbler out at a time to see what number it is, find that number in the kit and install it in the same place on the new core until all of the slots are full. It just takes a little time.
The following users liked this post:
IStoleIt (09-08-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0l
Default Same problem but....

I had the same thing happen to my 2003 GCLaredo. Key won't register as off nor run position so I been jumping the starter to start engine. Twice the Anti Theft triggered but was able to reset it. Now the Anti Theft has triggered and I can't get it off since the key won't register as off. The cluster lights remain on after removing key from ignition and auto door locks don't work usually either so I've been disconnecting the neg. terminal. It's my only means of transportation and do not have a lot of extra money for repairs. Please help.
Old 07-25-2022, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0l
Default Same problem but....

I had the same thing happen to my 2003 GCLaredo. Key won't register as off nor run position so I been jumping the starter to start engine. Twice the Anti Theft triggered but was able to reset it. Now the Anti Theft has triggered and I can't get it off since the key won't register as off. The cluster lights remain on after removing key from ignition and auto door locks don't work usually either so I've been disconnecting the neg. terminal. It's my only means of transportation and do not have a lot of extra money for repairs. Please help.