Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

another 1994 grand cherokee starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default another 1994 grand cherokee starting problem

so my zj has stopped working. essentially i was driving down the freeway when this issue first started. it was raining and next thing i know i look down at my rpm gauge jumping from 1-8 rapidly, and my spedometer had completely stopped wokring. i have only owned this jeep for 3 weeks at that point. so i got off and it barely wanted to start. i drove it home on normal roads and it died twice. but it made it home. the next day i tried to start it. nothiing would happen. it wouldnt turn over but i would hear a rapid clicking. the next time i got in it wouldnt click at all. i jumped it once and it died. so i checked the battery it seemed to be reading 12.6 so it seemed fine. so next and were i am today. i replaced the starter. made sure it was in correctly. got it all dialed in and now the interior lights wont even turn on and there is no sound whatsoever no clicking. nothing.

the connectors on my battery are pretty corroded so im, going to replace them and the battery next.

so in reality my question is. have any of you had this problem before? if so what was the solution? and to any expierenced jeep mechanics any ideas of what it could be?

i like my jeep but aside from the alarm issue, and now this i just want to fix it.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Replace the battery and check the charging system. Abattery with a static reading of 12.6 volts means nothing, you have to load test the battery.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:25 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

AND, clean all the grounds and battery terminals when you change that battery.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:03 AM

Thanks dudes will do!
Old 12-05-2012, 12:37 PM

Default 1999 grand cherokee 4.7 V8

my sister has been having the same problem. She's driving and all of a sudden the engine dies and floods out and won't start.Map and Crank senors have been replaced and still floods out and engine dies. The tach starts flipping out 0-4 back and forth. Injector still plumping fuel out and won't start. She has to wait a day before it will start again but deals with it everyday. Her mechanic can't find the problem. Fuel injector problem she thinks.
Can anyone help on her situations. I have been reading and reviewing and it seems like all jeeps have this problem no matter what year it is. I know there has been a recall for many things on these jeeps.

HELP!
Old 12-05-2012, 10:18 PM

Engine: 5.2l v8

1999 grand cherokee 4.7 V8
my sister has been having the same problem. She's driving and all of a sudden the engine dies and floods out and won't start.Map and Crank senors have been replaced and still floods out and engine dies. The tach starts flipping out 0-4 back and forth. Injector still plumping fuel out and won't start. She has to wait a day before it will start again but deals with it everyday. Her mechanic can't find the problem. Fuel injector problem she thinks.
Can anyone help on her situations. I have been reading and reviewing and it seems like all jeeps have this problem no matter what year it is. I know there has been a recall for many things on these jeeps.

HELP!

check your cam sensors that would cause it to die out and flood the engine with fuel pull the sensor is located next to the batt pull it out if u see a bunck of metal on it it needs to be cleaned if u have 6 cyl u need to check the cap and rotor under it is the cam sensor with a wire those usually go bad with out any signs
Old 12-06-2012, 10:09 PM

Thank you mxpxpunkrock1987 for the information.
I'll tell my sister to try it.

Thanks again
Old 12-12-2012, 03:26 PM

After I changed the starter, the next day when I came outside I lost all my tranny fluid all over the ground. Why would my tranny be leaking fluid? I didn't loosen anything else just the starter bolts and replaced that. Do you think my tranny might of went out! And that why it wouldn't start?
Old 12-12-2012, 09:12 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: V6 4.0 LITER

have you checked your speed sensor? it's on the driver side and towards the rear of your tranny. it's before the driveshaft. should see it projecting out the side with an electrical connector. signs of a bad speed sensor : speedometer / odometer quits working , no cruise control , a rough or jumpy transmission , rumble noises , rough idle , loss of power , & bad fuel mileage. do as the others suggested checking out your battery and grounds. if your speed sensor is broke or cracked, it could be the source of your tranny fluid leak. find the sensor and see if that's where your tranny fluid puddle has formed. this sensor helps the computer regulate the flow of gas and your ignition timing.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:20 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: V6 4.0 LITER

Originally Posted by crapjeep

HELP!
check your speed sensor also. regulates flow of gas and your ignition timing.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:13 PM

So I've gotten it were it will almost start, it wants to turn over but there is no spark! What so ever! Any ideas?