Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Aftermarket head unit w/ infinity questions.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Aftermarket head unit w/ infinity questions.

I have a '99 WJ Laredo SE with the infinity system. I recently purchased a Pioneer DEH-6400BT from amazon after crutchfield said it would fit (saved $20). Unfortunately I didn't realize that for it to fit, it required a "receiver kit" and an additional wire harness that crutchfield would supply for "free".

Anyway, the head unit comes in tomorrow. I'm incredibly impatient and I set aside time tomorrow specifically to install the head unit, among other things. I was wondering if I can get the receiver kit and wire harness anywhere local, or if they're just something I need to order online.

Also, I've read a lot about people installing aftermarket head units with the infinity system and then their sound stops working. I really do not understand the infinity system at all (wish there was a guide or something) and I was wondering what preparations/precautions do I need to take to make sure this goes smoothly?

Oh, almost forgot. I'm going to hook up a set of subs with the system. My plan was to just wire a separate amp to power the subs, and then hook the amp up to the head unit. I thought it might not be a terrible idea to make sure that this plan won't fry my system or something.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L6

try bestbuy or any local car audio place
Old 08-09-2012, 01:37 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

You have to connect the remote amp turn-on wire that turns on the amp when the stereo is turned on. Also don't replace your front door speakers unless you want to by-pass the factory amp. The aftermarket front door speakers' tweeters won't work, as the factory amp under the rear left seat is programmed to send only bass signals to the front doors.