Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

acceleration loss/check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2007
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 6 cyl
Default acceleration loss/check engine light

Hey there! New to the forum -- couldn't find this already posted so hopefully someone can give me a hint! I have an 07 Grand, 6 cyl. Driving along just fine when suddenly I lose acceleration. I can keep crawling along at 10 mph or so, but cant accelerate. Pump the gas -- no good. after a minute or 2, everything seems to work fine again. When this happens, the check engine light comes on. By the time I get to the mechanic, the light is off. They check the computer and there are no codes stored. The other thing I noticed last time it happened is that ALL the gears look like they're selected if you look at the indicator lights in the gauge cluster. Manually downshifting the gears seems to help get things moving again and corrects the indicator read-out. This happens every once in a while -- any idea what it could be?
Old 04-27-2011, 11:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You're asking the wrong people, you'll get nothing but missinformation around here. You would be better off at the Jeep dealer, they may have run into this type of problem before and can get it repaired quickly and cheaply. I'm afraid the advise you would get here will cost you more money in the long run.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

its going into limp mode. this is a fairly common problem with the 722.6 transmission used in these vehicles. They have a "conductor plate" that is basically a plastic plate that with copper ribbons that connect the solenoids. when these fail they loose contact and I would be willing to bet your code is for pcm communication. it should however store the codes, and if your "mechanic" is telling you no, than go to autozone and have it scanned. I believe they will even print you a sheet.
next time this heppens, put the gear selector in neutral, see if the indicator goes to neutral only, then select drive. and see if it goes back into drive.
This is not a huge fix but it requires removing the valve body to replace the plate and I believe dealer list is in the 300$ area. while that is being done, it is a good idea to replace the case connector that leaks all the time. I believe dealer list is like 12$ and its removed when removing the conductor plate anyway.

oh, and I dont think listening to my advise will cost you any money in the long run lol. J/K. but seriouisly have it scanned by someone else and report back.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by ct67_72
its going into limp mode. this is a fairly common problem with the 722.6 transmission used in these vehicles. They have a "conductor plate" that is basically a plastic plate that with copper ribbons that connect the solenoids. when these fail they loose contact and I would be willing to bet your code is for pcm communication. it should however store the codes, and if your "mechanic" is telling you no, than go to autozone and have it scanned. I believe they will even print you a sheet.
next time this heppens, put the gear selector in neutral, see if the indicator goes to neutral only, then select drive. and see if it goes back into drive.
This is not a huge fix but it requires removing the valve body to replace the plate and I believe dealer list is in the 300$ area. while that is being done, it is a good idea to replace the case connector that leaks all the time. I believe dealer list is like 12$ and its removed when removing the conductor plate anyway.

oh, and I dont think listening to my advise will cost you any money in the long run lol. J/K. but seriouisly have it scanned by someone else and report back.
Ok ok, you're one of the few on the site that offers solid advise. But I could just see a slew of people telling this guy to replace the injectors and to start throwing a bunch of unneeded parts at his Jeep. That is the reason of the statement I made above.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:19 PM
Former Sponsor

haha, I know. I had to bust on you a little. Being one of the others that can actually offer sound logical advice.
I do stay away from some trans threads. Everyone seems to know something about a transmission but no one can tell you how one works
lots of bad advice on them.
Oh to add something to the thread to not be off topic.
For an easy test and possible fix for free, unplug the trans case connector. Its a quarter turn plastic dealy, and see if there is any oil in the connector. If so spray it out with some good electrical contact cleaner and plug it back in with a little dielectric grease and see if it helps. sometimes oil contamination can short them and make them do funny stuff.
If there is a lot of oil in the plug, find the tcm or trans connector on the computer and unplug it and check for oil there. I have seen it travel all the way to the computer.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:22 AM

Year: 2007
Engine: 6 cyl

Thanks! I'll check it out and let you know what I find! Much appreciated!
Old 05-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Please do. and your welcome!