Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

97 ZJ overhead console confiuration settings

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 08:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default 97 ZJ overhead console confiuration settings

Hello,

I have a 95 ZJ Limited with a working overhead console. Two or three months ago I replaced a dead overhead console with a working one from the JY. I was able to go into the configuration mode by holding the two buttons down (key off) and then turning the key on, where I calibrated the compass and was able to also go into all of the other settings, but do not remember making changes to other than the compass calibration.

Today I thought to try the other features. After holding down the two buttons (key off) and then turning the ign. key to on I see a display screen of all of the entire display area (without data) but nothing else happens, no diag message and no configuration settings mode. After letting go of the buttons I'm able to see the compass, pressing next thumbs through the various features with data such as temperature, trip meter with miles, mpg, etc. So it appears the overhead console is working ok, but I'm unable to access the configuration settings.

Am I doing something incorrect trying to access the configuration settings? It's been approx. 3 months since I calibrated the compass and went into the other feature settings.

I tried several times holding the two buttons down (key off) and then key on, holding the two buttons up to a min. or so. but still no configuration mode settings.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Thanks, I never even knew there was a config mode. Mine has always worked fine. My guess is you can only enter that mode 1x, would suggest unplugging it or pulling some fuse and trying again.