Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

'97 JGC brakes leaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default '97 JGC brakes leaking

I’ve got a small problem with a brake repair on a ’97 Jeep Grand Cherokee equipped with disc brakes on all wheels. I accepted a job replacing the pads but ran into trouble as soon as I began. Complaint was slightly excessive/mushy pedal travel and the brake light was showing. Customer wanted pads installed and had already purchased them. (It was my intention to bleed the brakes in addition to pad replacement.) After removing the slightly worn pads (on the first wheel, which was the front driver’s side), I couldn’t get the caliper pistons to retract. I finally decided to abort an attempt at replacement and just reinstall the existing pads, which weren’t terribly worn. After several attempts, I got the piston to retract and re-fitted the existing pads (I disconnected the hydraulic line to achieve this goal by eliminating system pressure). Unfortunately, the banjo bolt no longer retained brake fluid (I think I had it misaligned). I replaced this bolt with a new one and it also leaks. I am confident that I have the new bolt aligned properly and the copper washer (I had to reuse it, no parts stores carry them) which seals the brake hose and caliper seems okay. What might I have overlooked?
Also, regarding the brake bleeding, I have another problem: the bleeder valves won’t turn. I haven’t noted any corrosion and am a bit stumped...
I’ve done a number of brake jobs on other vehicles successfully, but this job is turning into a nightmare! Please help! I just want to get this over with safely...
Old 03-29-2009, 07:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

JMO Replace the caliper for two reasons. First is the cross-threaded inlet hole. It can't get tight enough to seal. Second is the problem with the stuck piston. That can be remedied, but with the other issue, I'd replace the caliper. Time is money, and if this job takes too long you're not making any. That caliper is cheap. Check AZ. Can't play with brakes. PB Blaster free's up those bleeders for me.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:35 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate you considering my problem.

I just finished the repair, and the vehicle now seems to be operating properly. Of course, I comped the customer a little for the excessive time it took to fix, but all is well thankfully.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:07 AM

Yeah I'd just go ahead and replace it. It's $41 at autozone with an $18 core charge.