Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

97 Jeep Gr. Cherokee ign.coil

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:42 AM
TS1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation 97 Jeep Gr. Cherokee ign.coil

I just wanted to post this for those who have gone absolutely crazy and broke $$... trying to figure out issues with their Jeep Cherokee's. I recently have had a nightmare trying to figure out all that was wrong with mine, months of searching and replacing parts. I was ready to drive mine off a cliff..
At first it was skipping, then started dying out while driving and would crank after it sat for awhile. Replaced Plugs, plug wires, , replaced (ignition coil) still would spit, sputter, backfire, die. Replaced... Computer, crank sensor, catalytic converter (this was bad). After all this it would crank, but still spit, sputter, backfire, and die.
My Mechanic installed a light to check the distributor plate. One of the wires was connected to the ignition coil plug in wire, and one to the solenoid ....on the side of the jeep I think. I am not a mechanic, but after he installed the light to check the distributor plate, he drove it for 2 weeks and could never get it to show the problem. I picked it up from him, with the light still installed and drove it for 3 weeks, no problem.
I took it back to him telling him it was fixed, he took the light off and it would not crank. The wire he installed was tightening the female end of the plug to the ignition coil wire, making a good connection.
If you buy aftermarket products, which most of us do, they will not be exactly like the OEM parts. I spent close to $1000 trying to pinpoint the problem I was having and at the end of the nightmare, it turns out the ignition coil that I bought from O'Riley's Auto Parts, did not plug tight to the wire that plugs to it.
This was causing it not to crank. He had to take a dentist type tool and tighten the sleeves inside the female end to make a tighter connection to the ign. coil. Problem solved.
I hope this will help anyone that has recently replaced a ignition coil with a aftermarket one and their jeep will not crank. Tighten those sleeves inside the wire that plugs to the coil.