Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

97 GC trans issue. Please help me.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 07:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 97 GC trans issue. Please help me.

This is for my brother-in-laws 97 Grand Cherokee 5.2 Orvis 4x4. He got the jeep gave to him from my paw paw. When he got it it would sometimes slip in first gear when taking off from a stop.

He drained the fluid and put in all new fluid with a filter. It fixed the problem completely.
He then had to park the jeep for a waterpump issues. We fixed all that.

So he thinks its time to drive his fixed jeep. We get in and the thing will not go in gear. Then it does but it's slipping and jumping to the max. We drive it maybe 1/4 mile and back but it's we barely made it. I said dude check the teams fluid first. It was bone dry, even though he put all fresh fluid.

so we fill it and he ended up having a split hose. We fixed that. So it's once again full with no leaks. We were hoping for the best.

we get in and now it will go but only in first gear. It will not change to any other gear.

I was going to unplug the TCU like on a regular Cherokee (what I drive) to see if it was electrical or mechanical. But where is the TCU located on a 97 GC, so I can check it manually? Can I even do that on this?

Also could him driving it 1/4 mile with no fluid have made it go into limp mode? What would be the way to reset that?

I just need help to help him? He has had this jeep since last May and has not drive it more than a couple weeks. He's about at his end. I wish it was a regular cherokee because i know way more. Thank you.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Chick-N-Picker
This is for my brother-in-laws 97 Grand Cherokee 5.2 Orvis 4x4. He got the jeep gave to him from my paw paw. When he got it it would sometimes slip in first gear when taking off from a stop.

He drained the fluid and put in all new fluid with a filter. It fixed the problem completely.
He then had to park the jeep for a waterpump issues. We fixed all that.

So he thinks its time to drive his fixed jeep. We get in and the thing will not go in gear. Then it does but it's slipping and jumping to the max. We drive it maybe 1/4 mile and back but it's we barely made it. I said dude check the teams fluid first. It was bone dry, even though he put all fresh fluid.

so we fill it and he ended up having a split hose. We fixed that. So it's once again full with no leaks. We were hoping for the best.

we get in and now it will go but only in first gear. It will not change to any other gear.

I was going to unplug the TCU like on a regular Cherokee (what I drive) to see if it was electrical or mechanical. But where is the TCU located on a 97 GC, so I can check it manually? Can I even do that on this?

Also could him driving it 1/4 mile with no fluid have made it go into limp mode? What would be the way to reset that?

I just need help to help him? He has had this jeep since last May and has not drive it more than a couple weeks. He's about at his end. I wish it was a regular cherokee because i know way more. Thank you.
You apparently drove a 20 year old tranny with no fluid whatsoever and are wondering if the problem is 'mechanical or electrical'? The trans is fried.