Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

97 with AC problems (but wait theres more!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Grand Cherokee
Default 97 with AC problems (but wait theres more!)

hi everyone, im new to this forum. im in need of help, advice, and a spiritual leader regarding my jeep.

ok I have a 97 grand cherokee laredo. 6cyl, 2wheel drive.

Problem 1: ac only blows out of top (defrost) and bottom vents but not the front vents (i hear its common but im getting ahead of myself)

Problem 2: the AC condensation drain is leaking onto the passenger side floor.

both problems happened today and the check engine light came on a little later

I did some research and found this for my second problem:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/wat...e-floor-51934/

i read the vent problem can be due to a vacuum leak. but i also read that the cruise control wouldnt work (mine works fine)

anyways, while looking under the hood i found this:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/member...2464-close.jpg
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/member...very-close.jpg
is that broken hose the root of (and solution to) all of my problems? would fixing that help with the condensation drain?

some recent history of what i did to the car: i had the oil changed, coolant flushed, and had a new thermostat put in 4 days ago. then the next day i drove from california to arizona (around 350mi) with the ac on the lowest setting most of the way. the temp never went above halfway. i turned off the ac when i was crossing the mountains. everything was going good until today when leaving a grocery store the ac started acting up as i mentioned above. i didnt even notice the leak on the passenger side until i started searching for the ac answers. i remember seeing the ac condensation drain properly two days ago (i didnt drive yesterday)

basically im lookin for some help since i dont know much about cars and i dont know what mechanics to trust out here.
is this problem easy to fix? will it be expensive? odds are i wont be able to do it myself but i want to be able to at least sound like i know what im talking about when i take it to the shop.

Sorry for the long winded message but im in desperate need for help.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:20 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4LI6

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/ac-...pet-fix-24246/
above is how you fix the ac drain problem permanently. it is a very easy process. not sure what the broken line is but it looks like a vac. line. save yourself some money and find a local junkyard, and go pull that line off of another zj and it could solve your issues. good luck
Old 08-05-2011, 01:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

You have a link to the A/C drain, that is actually an easy fix to do.

That line you have in the pic is indeed the vacuum supply line for the HVAC controls. With the loss of vaccum the HVAC default position is defrost. You should be able to find rubber vacuum line at any auto parts store. It will be the smallest diameter stuff they carry. Go ahead and buy 1-2ft of it and cut about a 1in piece and slide it over the broken line for a splice repair. It may help to spray WD-40 in the rubber line to help it slide over the plastic line (rubber line should fit tight). The extra hose you bought is handy to keep around for possible future problems.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:23 PM

Year: 97

^thanks, thats the consensus of what i was hearing. i did it today and everything is working well. i didnt run the ac for too long but it seemed to get cold and work fine. much thanks