Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

96 Grand Cherokee radio problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 96 Grand Cherokee radio problems

Like the title states...I'm having problems with the radio in my 96 GC. It has the Infinity system and the factory CD/cassette player radio, which I just put in today.

I will try my best to explain this issue although I've never seen any radio behave like this. The display works fine, but will blink on and off. Also only when the display is ON will the radio respond to any commands, when it wants to...sometimes it doesn't and I have no sound or anything. Also, the little amber LEDs in the equalizer ***** flash on and off, although not in the same pattern as the display. Furthermore, when I shut off the Jeep and remove the key, get out, shut the doors, etc...the radio is off BUT the display is still on. It may eventually shut off, but may not. Sometimes it shuts off and I can press any button and it comes back on, and will display a radio station but no sound since the radio is off.

Anyone else have similar symptoms? Everything I found on line has to do with no display at all, which mine has it's just acting screwy. I would really like to fix this radio; I like how it sounds with the Infinity system since they were all designed to work together as a set...the aftermarket CD player it did have didn't sound as good to me. Thanks

BTW all fuses were checked and were good, I even pulled all the radio fuses to reset it and got nowhere.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:16 PM

Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

are you using the factory wiring plug? if so, check that both male and female plugs are clean, then make sure it has a good ground. If you hardwired it in, double check all your connections. I have a wiring diagram if you need it. Other than that, it seems like a bad unit.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:49 PM

Model: Cherokee

Thanks for the advice. The original radio (long gone) was replaced by an aftermarket unit by Best Buy at some point (found a receipt in the glove box). So none of the original wiring was cut; the original fround wire was even still there. So it was basically plug and play.

My boss was telling me one time he had a late-90s Chrysler come in the shop with strange radio problems going on that really couldn't be traced to a bad ground or power wire. Did some digging, and found that the radio in the car had the ignition power feed and memory power feed terminals switched from what was in the car. Turns out the owner had put this radio in to replace the old one to get CD player function and it came out of a different year, and for some reason they changed those two terminals so it would do all kinds of weird stuff. I don;t know if that's my problem or not since I had always heard any Chrysler radio from the early to mid-90s were all the same wiring wise, even the Infinity ones. Who knows...it'd be easy enough to check, so I'm going to.