Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

96 GC Unclogged AC drain, still getting water through vents

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 96 GC Unclogged AC drain, still getting water through vents FIXED!

Newb to GC's. FSJ guy here. Not used to AC lol.

So here's the deal. Cleaned out the AC drain and the back carpet is still getting flooded through the air ducts. The condenser housing itself IS NOT leaking into the floor.

When I originally fished out the hole, TONS of water poured out. Awesome. Fixed.

A week later, I heard the water slosh under the back seat. Blew air and fished out the drain. No water came out at all. If the drain isn't clogged at all, what would cause the ducts to continue flooding?

Last edited by Dumpy; 09-16-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

ducts still got water in them from b4 maybe?
Old 09-13-2012, 04:57 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

some stuff to look thru:

http://www.google.com/search?q=96+gr...hrome&ie=UTF-8

and read post # 15 on this

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=357037

Last edited by kennzz05; 09-13-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
ducts still got water in them from b4 maybe?
Nah, I'm talking 1/2 gallons at a time

Ive seen posts about putting a hose on the end of the outlet before, But still doesn't make sense in my head. Pics of this mod would be great. All other threads I've seen don't have pics of it.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by Dumpy
Nah, I'm talking 1/2 gallons at a time

Ive seen posts about putting a hose on the end of the outlet before, But still doesn't make sense in my head. Pics of this mod would be great. All other threads I've seen don't have pics of it.
This thread has posts by ET JEEP that detail his fix for the issue. The pics have been removed though. PM him and see if he has them.>->https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f52/ac...pet-fix-24246/
Old 09-13-2012, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by ol"blue
This thread has posts by ET JEEP that detail his fix for the issue. The pics have been removed though. PM him and see if he has them.>->https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f52/ac...pet-fix-24246/
That's the one I saw. wasn't sure if the member was still active, but I'll give it a shot. Jeep smells like my old gym bag...lol
Old 09-14-2012, 08:22 AM
CF Veteran

That's the one I saw. wasn't sure if the member was still active, but I'll give it a shot. Jeep smells like my old gym bag...lol
Oh yeah, he's still active, but I'm not sure how often. I talked to him in a message not long ago.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:32 AM

He just messaged me. Hopefully I can get this solved. makes absolutely NO sense to me how it's still flooding with no leaks and drain completely open. At least if I'm ever in a survival situation I'll have fresh, clean water until I run out of gas
Old 09-14-2012, 09:48 AM
CF Veteran

Hopefully you'll get it resolved soon. Wonder if ET JEEP will update his thread and reinstall those pics?
Old 09-15-2012, 06:09 PM

Year: 1997

Do you have a sunroof?
Old 09-16-2012, 07:28 AM

Negative. I avoid those at all costs
Old 09-16-2012, 08:39 PM

Got pics form EtJeep. It worked! I cut the hole, stuck a coat hanger through the drain side, and a flood came out that drain AND the front drain. I figured out the mail problem. Even though the drain is about 1/2", the geniuses at Chrysler decided that the drain didn't need all that room, so there is only about an 1/8" gap in the plastic leading to the drain. I learned that when I stuck in the bead side of a bicycle shifter cable and it got stuck in the hole! I had to yank it out. This means like something minuscule can be causing the problems so many of us have. I plan on drilling that out from the cab side so that the water can flow as freely as it needs to.

The culplrit on mine was one of those winged tree seeds that twirl in the air when they fall. That was it. Now, hopefully dry carpet from here on out
Old 09-16-2012, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

Got pics form EtJeep. It worked! I cut the hole, stuck a coat hanger through the drain side, and a flood came out that drain AND the front drain. I figured out the mail problem. Even though the drain is about 1/2", the geniuses at Chrysler decided that the drain didn't need all that room, so there is only about an 1/8" gap in the plastic leading to the drain. I learned that when I stuck in the bead side of a bicycle shifter cable and it got stuck in the hole! I had to yank it out. This means like something minuscule can be causing the problems so many of us have. I plan on drilling that out from the cab side so that the water can flow as freely as it needs to.

The culplrit on mine was one of those winged tree seeds that twirl in the air when they fall. That was it. Now, hopefully dry carpet from here on out
That's great. Now if only you or him would update his thread, and put those pics back in. Or add them here. It would help others understand what's needed to do the repair.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:46 AM

I'll ask his permission to post them and if I get the nod I'll strait a new thread
Old 09-17-2012, 08:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ol"blue
That's great. Now if only you or him would update his thread, and put those pics back in. Or add them here. It would help others understand what's needed to do the repair.

Ok ok!! I will put them back. Didn't know how my photo album would affect many threads. I am getting some heat. Need to cool the fires.

Quick Reply: 96 GC Unclogged AC drain, still getting water through vents