Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

95 grand tranny od button blues!!!

Old 07-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Registered Users

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 91 with lots of 01' parts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 01' 4.0L
Default 95 grand tranny od button blues!!!

alright, so when i drive my gfs grand cherokee in town it shifts fine and the od light off light stays off. when i drive it to the mountains and start going up hills the tranny starts to shift kind of hard. mostly my 2nd to third shift. after doing this for a while the od off light comes on and it will not shift into od. sometimes the check engine light will come on and sometimes it wont, yet no codes stored in the ecm? i can turn the jeep off and then back on and the od off light goes off and normal shifting is back til i go hit some more uphills. wtf? im confused...btw its a 4.0l, auto, and 249.....please help
Old 07-19-2009, 06:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

What does it do when you push the "OD OFF" button? On my '97 ZJ the button lights up when pressed to disable OD, otherwise there is no light. And unless pressed, the button light will not come on. I have the 5.2 V8 and don't use OD when towing or on steep grades.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by ol"blue
What does it do when you push the "OD OFF" button? On my '97 ZJ the button lights up when pressed to disable OD, otherwise there is no light. And unless pressed, the button light will not come on. I have the 5.2 V8 and don't use OD when towing or on steep grades.

i can push the button as many times as i want and it wont go off or shift into od. when it isnt acting up, i can push it on and off just fine. i never use the od off button though. only time i really drive it is to get parts for my cherokee
Old 07-19-2009, 06:39 PM
CF Veteran

On that trans OD is 4th gear. The 4th gear solenoid may be sticking a little. How does the trans fluid look, it's color? It's level, and does it have a burnt smell to it? How many miles on Jeep, and has fluid/filter ever been changed?
Old 07-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Registered Users

120k on the jeep. previous owner said tranny was rebuilt. tranny fluid didnt smell burnt b4 i did a pan down service. now has new filter and fluid...prob still the same. no unusual debris in the old fluid or filter.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:07 PM
CF Veteran

Sorry, I'm at a loss. Wait for "seed" to get online. He's the ZJ/WJ expert and should be able to help you more.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Registered Users

yeah i only know cherokees and aw4 auto's....thanks a bunch for the help though. ive run thru all i know!!!
Old 07-19-2009, 10:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

By doing the "on-off" with the key and watching the "OD" light for flashes,are you getting any TCM codes? Could be the OD solenoid but i don't know why the CEL is coming on also.

Did this start after you did the fluid/filter change?
Old 07-20-2009, 06:46 AM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by seed
By doing the "on-off" with the key and watching the "OD" light for flashes,are you getting any TCM codes? Could be the OD solenoid but i don't know why the CEL is coming on also.

Did this start after you did the fluid/filter change?
didnt know how to check for tcm codes...will do the koeo test and watch the light.

problem was b4 the fluid change
Old 07-20-2009, 05:25 PM
Registered Users

no tcm codes stored.....im lost someone please save me
Old 07-20-2009, 10:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Sounds like the OD solenoid or speed sensor. I doubt it would be the OD clutches or the TC. Is the kick down adjusted properly?

low temps or a bad TPS can also cause OD not to work

Found this little write up about how your trans works http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/july98/techtips.htm
Old 07-21-2009, 06:59 AM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by seed
Sounds like the OD solenoid or speed sensor. I doubt it would be the OD clutches or the TC. Is the kick down adjusted properly?

low temps or a bad TPS can also cause OD not to work

Found this little write up about how your trans works http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/july98/techtips.htm
thanks for the info seed...i will let you know what i find....i have heard from alot of peeps that its prob the od solenoid!!! going that direction
Old 07-21-2009, 10:45 PM

sounds like you're having similar problems like me. There are 3 things to really check. The Governor pressure sensor, Governor pressure solenoid, both in the tranny pan, and if you replace one, replace them both! get them online for much cheaper than dealer. And check your tranny temp sensor. If he transmission reaches a certain temp, such as when you cimb hills it heats up, it will kick into LIMP mode, not allowing 1st or 4th gear. Im having similar issues of being stuck in LIMP mode. still not resolved, but im on to the next step. MOST times it resolved by changing solenoid and switch
Old 07-22-2009, 06:47 AM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by kmitch80
sounds like you're having similar problems like me. There are 3 things to really check. The Governor pressure sensor, Governor pressure solenoid, both in the tranny pan, and if you replace one, replace them both! get them online for much cheaper than dealer. And check your tranny temp sensor. If he transmission reaches a certain temp, such as when you cimb hills it heats up, it will kick into LIMP mode, not allowing 1st or 4th gear. Im having similar issues of being stuck in LIMP mode. still not resolved, but im on to the next step. MOST times it resolved by changing solenoid and switch
cool, thanks. if you figure it out before me, let me know what you find. have to wait for the pay check to get parts
Old 07-22-2009, 10:20 PM

hahaha. you sound like me. well i've noticed a few weird things on mine. But since i've replaced both sensor and solenoid, i'm thinking temp sensor, TCM, (hope not) or one of the speed sensors.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 grand tranny od button blues!!!