Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

93 GCL weak spark, no start Please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 93 GCL weak spark, no start Please help

First off this is a great site and I apreciate the tech info within.

I have 93 grand cherokee laredo that has 4.0L. The jeep has 200,000 miles on it and up untill the other day has caused me very little trouble. I went to leave work and the jeep just turned over no start. I checked the spark with a spark tester and the light seemed kinda dim, so I decided to pull a plug and test it by grounding it like normal and found that it was weak but sparking it also wanderd around not just at the tip like normal. I inspected the cap and rotor for wear and it appered fine. I then checked the spark coming from the coil with the same light tester and it seemed fine so I checked the voltage to the coil and it read just a little less than the battery normal loss.

Then I found this site and serched for same symtoms and decided that I better start by replacing the plugs,wires,cap,rotor and ignition coil. All the conclusions I read on this site came back to coil. So finaly all parts came in and i changed all above parts aswell as battery and cleaned the conections even the ground below coil. I turned the key and it sounded like it wanted to fire then back to square one. Pulled a plug and it was wet with gas. I read about the injectors back probed them and got 3 volts with key on and just less than batery voltage while turning over.

Fuel pump comes on when key turned and stops when pressurized like it always has, tested plugs again and better looking spark but still wandering all voltage checks as stated above are the same as above even with new parts. I am handy with engine an electrical work but this puzzles me. i don't have a scan tool and live in a remote area where parts and tools are kinda hard to get quick. Is there a sensor that I should be looking for or something that I am missing? I turns over just like it always has just won't fire

Thanks for any help
Old 03-09-2016, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L

Did you find out anything about this? Mine is doing the exact same thing.