Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

46RH Tranny/ HD Rebuild???

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 46RH Tranny/ HD Rebuild???

Hi everyone! I'm glad I found this website. This is my first post since joining. Anyway, I recently bought a 1995 GC Limited (5.2 V8, 4X4, automatic tranny) that was what I call a "junkyard special" because the whole vehicle is in immaculate condition inside and out,.........except the tranny is shot. The vehicle has 191,000 miles on it, so I'm figuring that this GC must've been driven alot of highway miles for the tranny to last this long and the vehicle be in such nice condition. Even the brake and gas pedal rubber pads are not even worn down! Same goes for the carpet and original factory floor mats.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has rebuilt the same tranny using all the heavy duty aftermarket parts and mods to make this tranny last the long haul??? From what I've researched, it looks like the 46RH tranny was used in the 1995 GC. I've read alot of complaints on a few tranny websites that this tranny usually burns up the overdrive clutch pack for one reason or another.

I've seen some aftermarket hop up parts/mods like increasing the OD clutch pack to use 9 frictions, increasing fluid flow by drilling out ports to a bigger size, using Alto Red brand frictions and Kolene brand steels, using a metal accumulator piston (not the stock plastic one), using a bigger reverse servo piston, using wider/thicker Kevlar or carbon epoxy bands, using a heavy duty kickdown band strut, using a high capacity direct drum w/ 4 frictions and 15 release springs, using a high ratio shift lever, etc., etc., etc.

Anyone out there done any of the above mods??? My GC will be used as a daily driver with some occasional light/medium towing.
TIA,
Vic
Old 07-24-2010, 03:55 AM

Anyone???

I'm getting ready to pull this tranny tomorrow, and would like to hear comments from some of you that have rebuilt this same tranny with heavy duty parts, before I order a parts kit.
TIA,
Vic
Old 07-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Im a little late. I run a transmission shop in Ct.
These units are very under rated. they did have some problems but are very good units.
There are 2 main problems.
One is the governor. They loose main line pressure and burn up all the clutched.
The second is the snap rings that retain the overdrive drum in the overdrive unit its self and the snap ring that retains the clutches in the drum, breaks.
When it breaks they usually break in pieces and lose apply pressure on the clutched, burning the O/D clutches.
so every time we do one, we upgrade the snap rings and they always get new governor pressure sensor and solenoid.
You can buy an overhaul kit with borg warner high energy clutches. They are cheap and a great upgrade.
Other than that, but a Transgo shift kit for the valve body. This will increase the mail line, lockup apply etc. and you should have yourself a nice unit.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by ct67_72
Im a little late. I run a transmission shop in Ct.
These units are very under rated. they did have some problems but are very good units.
There are 2 main problems.
One is the governor. They loose main line pressure and burn up all the clutched.
The second is the snap rings that retain the overdrive drum in the overdrive unit its self and the snap ring that retains the clutches in the drum, breaks.
When it breaks they usually break in pieces and lose apply pressure on the clutched, burning the O/D clutches.
so every time we do one, we upgrade the snap rings and they always get new governor pressure sensor and solenoid.
You can buy an overhaul kit with borg warner high energy clutches. They are cheap and a great upgrade.
Other than that, but a Transgo shift kit for the valve body. This will increase the mail line, lockup apply etc. and you should have yourself a nice unit.
Ok, I'm thread jacking here, but what are the weak links in a 42RE? I have 160k on mine, but I'm not sure if this is the original transmission. Also, the dipstick tube crosses over from the rightside of the transmission to the left side of the engine, is that normal?
Old 07-28-2010, 04:48 AM

Hey ct67_72, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the extra info! Now that's alot of stuff that I didn't know and never read about while browsing on the internet for info on this tranny. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience with all of us! I appreciate it alot!!!
Vic
Old 07-28-2010, 07:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by m2hbvic
Hey ct67_72, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the extra info! Now that's alot of stuff that I didn't know and never read about while browsing on the internet for info on this tranny. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience with all of us! I appreciate it alot!!!
Vic
I second that. Thanks a lot for posting it.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:17 AM
Former Sponsor

no problem guys.
The same can be said really for the 42re unit. its identical to the 44/46/47 just smaller. I dont see the snap rings break in those like the larger units but they have the same problems, most failures I would have to say are cause by loss of governor pressure from a faulty solenoid.
Actually one other problem when they get higher in mileage is the lip seal in the direct drum apply piston. they tend to get loose elasticity and wear out. They loose the seal between the drum and the piston loosing apply pressure on the direct clutches.
This is part of a typical rebuild, but if the direct clutches are burnt this is usually why.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:24 AM
Former Sponsor

oh and if you work on these, always, always replace the output speed sensor
Old 07-28-2010, 08:24 AM
CF Veteran

I had the trans in my '97 ZJ w/the 5.2 replaced at the dealer 2 years ago with a crate trannie. I wish I'd known then about the upgrades. Do you suggest any fixes for it without pulling it out? Or is that the only way? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:36 AM
Former Sponsor

I do like to do some updates to the valve body. The "shift kits" are more than what they used to be. They resolve a lot of common valve body problems, and a lot of the time the higher pressures keep the temps down from less slippage, and it does not have to be a harsh shift like everyone associates with a shift kit.
Other than that I wouldnt worry to much. They are very good units with a couple week points, which should have been taken care of when rebuilt/replaced
Old 07-28-2010, 08:39 AM
CF Veteran

So you're suggesting I install a shift-kit? What brand would you recommend?
It has the factory tow package with the aux. trans cooler already.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:24 AM

Yeah, ditto on the shift kit idea. I always wondered what brand is the best, or are they all basically the same???

Also, are any mods needed for the front pump on the 46RH tranny to make it bulletproof??? Does the line pressure need to be increased by way of the relief valve/spring???
THANKS,
Vic
Old 07-29-2010, 06:42 AM
Former Sponsor

I hate to even call them shift kits any more.
I recommend Transgo brand, part no; TFOD-HD2
Nothing really to do with the pump. They want you to install teflon rings but I typically stay with the steel rings.
The line pressure is increased with new pressure regulator springs and a new spring seat.
Another nice feature with the kit is the updated manual valve, which increases flow to the converter in park.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:04 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ct67_72
I hate to even call them shift kits any more.
I recommend Transgo brand, part no; TFOD-HD2
Nothing really to do with the pump. They want you to install teflon rings but I typically stay with the steel rings.
The line pressure is increased with new pressure regulator springs and a new spring seat.
Another nice feature with the kit is the updated manual valve, which increases flow to the converter in park.
Thanks for the info.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:34 AM

THANK YOU ct67_72!

BTW, do you have any recommendations for a Turbo 400 (3L80) buildup??? I've built them up for my street/strip cars in the past with Raybestos waffle frictions, Torrington bearing mods, aftermarket sprags, etc. I'm building up a stock Chevy 454 engine for a swap into my old Dodge motorhome and was wondering if I needed to do a extra heavy duty buildup on a Turbo 400???

Or I was thinking of going with the 4L80/4L80E (w/ the Compushift box) for the overdrive gear, to bring the engine RPM's down and the mileage up a little, but I was wondering if the OD clutch pack would even hold up for the long haul pushing the 10,000 pounds GVW of the motorhome??? Do you have any suggestions for heavy duty mods for the 4L80/4L80E tranny to make it survive???

Sure would like to use the newer 6L80 6-speed tranny but I don't think it'll bolt up to an older Mark IV 454 engine, and nobody makes an aftermarket computer box for it yet, and I don't think that the OD clutch packs will last.
THANKS,
Vic

Quick Reply: 46RH Tranny/ HD Rebuild???