Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

42RE rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 42RE rebuild questions

First time reader and poster.

I have just completed rebuilding the 42RE in my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and have 2 issues. The first is it runs bad. It is starting harder than usual and runs rough. The tach jumps all over the place. The 2nd issue is that it doesn't want to shift out of 1st gear. It did once, but when it down shifted it stayed in 1st.

I discovered a couple of things when I took the transmission out. The crank position sensor wires were torn off the sensor and just hanging there. I replace the sensor and plugged it in. There is a small air line on the drivers side by the bell housing that was unplugged from a rubber coupling. I don't know if it is a vacuum line or a breather of some sort. I plugged it back together.

A few possible mistakes. I didn't have a small torque wrench when I reinstalled the valve body so I hand tightened the bolts and am wondering how easy it is to distort the valve body. I have since found a torque wrench so I will be redoing this. Could I have done permanent damage? When I was changing the seals in the front servo I broke the lower seal which was steel. The rebuild kit only had fiber/plastic composite seals and I replaced the lower one with one of these. It is much thinner and flimsy. The third concern is that I didn't clean the front band adjusting screw threads before torquing the screw to the 72 in. lbs. so this may be out of adjustment. Lastly, when I unhooked the battery to do this project, I left it unhooked for 2 weeks. Could this along with replacing the crank position sensor have wiped out the computer memory? If so, how can I reteach this thing how to run?

Thanks, Dan
Old 10-20-2010, 05:30 PM

Am I in the wrong place?
Old 10-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

No Dan, there is just not a lot of tranny gurus around here. Ufortunately, I don't have any idea what could be causing your problems, but hopefully someone will. We just don't have a ton of GC traffic around CF, sorry!! Best of luck with your issues!! Hopefully someone will chime in for ya...
Old 10-20-2010, 10:18 PM

COSXJFAN, Gotcha, Thanks for the response anyway. I thought I forgot my deoderant. I think I answered my question with the errors I made. I may have to have the brain flashed, but other than that I think if I correct the torque issues I may be O.K. I'll stop back when I get a real jeep.

Edit: I just saw the " More cowbell " under your handle. Flippin" hilarius.

Last edited by Danj; 10-20-2010 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Addition to comments