Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

4.7 l va gc headgasket question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: il 6
Question 4.7 l va gc headgasket question

so i am in the middle of tear down for replacing a blown head gasket (looks like some one used chocolate milk instead of oil ) so i was wondering under the valve cover its the rocker arms and the cam shaft well the timing chain connects to the cam shaft and to get to the head i need to remove the cam so my question is; is it possible to do without having to get the timing chain cover off?
Old 07-18-2011, 01:20 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L HO

I did the heads on my Durango 4.7L. You will have to pull the timing cover. To do that you pretty much have to teardown the whole front of the motor. There is a special tool you need to remove the harmonic balancer. Get the heads check as they warp very easy and are not cheap to replace. Get a complete head gasket kit. Youll need the timing cover gasket too as it it sold seperate. Look at your timing chain tensioners and adjusters. If the plastic on the tensioners is worn, replace them. If you can collapse the adjuster and it does not extend, replace them too. Your manifold is plastic, be careful not to crack it upon install. Your exhaust manifold bolts are easy to break. Also, the head bolts are 1 time use torque to yeild so youll need new bolts too. Also, when you start reassembly, PAY ATTENTION TO TIMING. The 4.7L is and interferance motor meaning if the timing is off, you will smash a pistion into an open valve and bend it. If you have any other issues PM me. It cost me close to $700 to do mine. The gaskets ate up ALOT of that. It would be a good time to do headers too if you have thought about it. Also, dont do just 1, do both sides otherwise the otherside will let go and youll be doing this all over again. Always do head gaskets in pairs.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:22 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: il 6

thank you for the info im guessing to get the timing cover off i need to tear down the front of the vehicle. i dont mean to step on your toes but ive did some research and the original head bolts can still be used again if not stretched (threads are not on a strait line)