Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2005 5.7 limp mode cold engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2005 5.7 limp mode cold engine

Hello All, I've viewed this site before while troubleshooting my 95. I got allot of great info on this site. I have an 05 5.7 which will only run in limp mode until it hits 183 degrees. It throws P2110 and P2101. I can get it out out of limp if I take it to 183, shut it off, push half throttle and it fires right up and runs fine, no codes. Ideas? Thanks for your input in advance.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

Have you looked up the most common causes of the codes?

Some of the causes can be critical to safety (first) and then there's your engine.
If you do look it up then you will find a list of things worth checking. Some are easy/free to do yourself.

Two simple things to do that may be of some help are: clean the throttle body (sticky throttle operation can cause this) and test the coolant temperature sensor because you said it starts/runs smoothly when at normal operating temperature and badly when cool.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Cherryokee, Thanks for the reply. I went through all the alldata checks concerning the throttle body. The three temperature sensors seem to correspond during warm up. But I guess one could be out of spec. Also, the O2 sensors seem to take a while to register voltage but I don't know how fast they should be active.