Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

200 grand cherokee raer axle noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default 200 grand cherokee raer axle noise?

I have a 2000 grand cherokee with what sounds like wheel bearing noise. It changes when going around curves, worse when turning left, almost goes away when turning right. I replaced both front hubs and that did not change anything. I am starting to think it is coming from the rear. It definately sounds as if it is in time with the wheel turning (speeds up and slows down with the jeep.
Any suggestions?

Last edited by Ahlbrand4; 09-22-2010 at 06:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-25-2010, 03:07 PM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Default more info

we need more info to help i.e. miles on drivetrain and what has been done to the rear. could be anything from low differential fluid to needing a complete rear rebuild for the carrier bearings and differential....more info if you please
Old 09-27-2010, 03:22 PM

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7 V8

Could be the same problem as stated on this post...

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/gra...-59216/index2/

Might be your ball joints!
Old 09-28-2010, 07:36 PM

Sorry it took so long to get back. The Jeep has 178,000 miles. As far as I know the only work done to the rear axle was outer bearing and axle seal on the left side. I am not sure how to tell what rear end it has in it. It does have the Up Country suspension package installed at the factory. Tonight I jacked the entire Jeep up and started the engine and put it in drive. With all four wheels turning I went from wheel to wheel and listened for noises and felt the axle tube as near to the wheel as I could touch. I did not notice anything until the left rear. No noise, but when I grab hold of the axle tube it feels like something inside is rough maybe like a bad bearing.
I can feel this all the way from the brake backing plate to the center of the rear axle. This is the same area I had worked on last summer. I am not sure about the work beacause I had someone else do it. Could I possibly have a bad bearing on the left rear? Would that explain why when going around a left curve it gets louder, maybe the weight of the jeep shifting to that side and making it worse? I also checked the ball joints while I had the jeep off the ground by grabbing hold of the top and bottom of the wheel and checking for any play. There was not any.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!
Old 09-29-2010, 11:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Your 2000 w/the 4.7L V8 should have the D44a rear axle.
If the noise gets louder on left turns it's putting more load on the right side and unloading the left. I'd check the right side rear wheel bearing.
If it got loader when turning right it would be the left bearing. It loads the left side and unloads the right.
If the noise didn't change when turning either direction it would point towards the pinion bearings, or both wheel bearings.
We had to have the rear axle pinion bearings replaced on our '04 WJ w/the 4.7L V8 and D44a axle. We had it done at the dealer under warranty.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:05 PM

Model: Cherokee
Default agree

ol' blue hit it on the head...first stop should be a mechanic who can give you an estimate on repair then go from there.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the info. What you are saying about the left and right makes a lot of sense. I still am getting the roughness inside the axle tube on the left side. A buddy at work is going to bring me his stethoscope in tomorrow so I can get a good listen. I think I am going to just replace both sides and see what happens. I called and got prices today and I could relace both sides for under $50 (bearings, retainers and axle seals). It doesn't appear to be too difficult. I talked to the shop where I had the rear axle work done last year. He told me to bring the axles to him if I have any trouble after removing them. I had one of my other jeeps in for repair today (I have four). My 97 XJ had a leaking evap core. I am going to hopefully repair the axle on friday. I will let you know what happens. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-01-2010, 01:15 PM
CF Veteran

Keep us posted, and Welcome to CF.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:45 PM

Hooray! I replaced bearings on both sides and the noise is gone! It appears as though the bearing on the right was definately bad. The one on the left side looks like it was put on backwards the last time it was replaced. I am not sure but the left side had the outer race facing out towards the seal and the right side had the race facing in towards the retaining ring. Which way is right? I also noticed the ABS light is now staying lit up on the instument panel. Does this mean that the sensor is out of adjustment with the tone ring? Thanks Ol''Blue for the help and the welcome!
Old 10-02-2010, 11:13 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Ahlbrand4
Hooray! I replaced bearings on both sides and the noise is gone! It appears as though the bearing on the right was definately bad. The one on the left side looks like it was put on backwards the last time it was replaced. I am not sure but the left side had the outer race facing out towards the seal and the right side had the race facing in towards the retaining ring. Which way is right? I also noticed the ABS light is now staying lit up on the instument panel. Does this mean that the sensor is out of adjustment with the tone ring? Thanks Ol''Blue for the help and the welcome!
Not sure on the bearings. Check the wiring and connections at the wheel sensors for the ABS. The tone ring is pressed onto the axle shaft so isn't adjustable. Did you get any grease or dirt on the tone ring/sensors during the repair? They need to be clean to get a signal or that could trigger the ABS light. JMO