Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1997 Grand Cherokee transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1997 Grand Cherokee transmission problem

Hello, I am new to this. Please bare with me. I was wodering if some one could possibly help me with a 1997 Grand Cherokee. 4.0 (6cyl) transmission problem . About 4 weeks ago my transmission strated slipping, when cold. About 2 weeks ago it stopped slipping and then started to jump in and out of over drive. 4 days ago it would not go into over drive at all. I shut the jeep of and it went back into overdrive. But continue to go in and out of over drive, on the way to work. Today, when i was driving home from work the transmission stopped working alltogether. Wuold not go into any gear, including reverse. I shut the car off and waited a few minutse and was able to drive about 10 feet and stopped working again. Anyone suggestion would be very helpful. Thnks in advance for any help with this. Scott
Old 09-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

you have a few choices go to the tranny shop,the junkyard to find another 42re tansmission and swap it, or go buy some lucus oil stop slip and add a whole bunch, it could buy you some time
Old 10-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993

sounds like rhe overdrive brokr being the last parts before the output see above go with choice a or b stop slip prob. won't do anything
Old 03-16-2012, 08:14 PM

Year: 1997/8
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2l

sorry dude i just junked a 95 jeep grand cherokee 4 cyl for the same reason ,mine was a real pecker always problems,parts for the 4 cy extremely hard to find for the cost of a new transmission or a rebuild you will most likley(positivley) find a used jeep with much less problems from a careful owner....i junked mine cause it blew 2 heads in one year,engine rebuild from main bearings up still did not fix problem damn thing was towed off with liquid glass in the ****er
Old 03-17-2012, 06:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by rickybarth
you have a few choices go to the tranny shop,the junkyard to find another 42re tansmission and swap it, or go buy some lucus oil stop slip and add a whole bunch, it could buy you some time
well, I wouldnt do either one of those things.
anyway, first of all check it for codes. the o/d problem you describe could be tps related, or a list of other things. It could also in fact be the converter coming out of lockup and not the trans coming out of O/D.
You need to figure out which it is.
But before you keep driving it and making it worse, if you havent already, you need to check codes and see whats there. What would scare me is that it would not move.
These are pretty common for having bad governor pressure sensors and solenoids, but regardless, its a mechanical trans and should drive no matter what. But if it did have a bad governor solenoid, and you have been driving it, you probably damaged it beyond replacing those parts.

So check codes, and let us know what you get.