Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1997 CPS? ECU? Something else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1997 CPS? ECU? Something else?

I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0. It died on me while i was changing o2 sensor. And i am having the similar problem that i have seen on here where no gauges work, and my obd2 does not read/connect with the computer. No spark, no power going into the distributor. There are no bad relays or fuse's. I have interchanged windshield wipers (because i know they worked) and ASD and Fuel pump, no change. I also can hear the pump priming, and have some pressure at the rail (dont have a tester but so i dont know exactly what the pressure is). Also when i click the key to the run mode i get all the relay's clicking properly.

I found a short on the lower o2 sensor's wiring harness. That i am assuming is what shut down the jeep, because its right where i was messing around with when it went. I repaired that and put on a new o2 sensor. No change to the symptoms.

So i went forward and tested the CPS. Tested on pole B and C for it to be open. Its not. I am getting no connection through the CPS. Could this be my issue? It went at the exact time i messed with the o2?

When the CPS was unplugged i also retried the obd2 no change. Made sure all important sensors had a good ground including the ECU.

So i am at a loss. The CPS is only 34 dollars, but it stuffed in there and not worth pulling if its not the problem. A new ECU, thats easy to get out but expensive...

Any Ideas