Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1997 Cherokee has a cold

Old 01-28-2015, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1997 Cherokee has a cold

Here are my problem again but updated and I do hope someone can help me. My Son has a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee, (picture herein I hope) that we have been reconditioning little by little for 6 years. The engine has 275000 miles on it and still running well even though the mpg has dropped but that is expected to do so. We just put a new computer in it because of many problems it had connected with the computer. So, I took it to a dealer after trying three different after-market computer systems that failed miserably. At the dealer, it was $800 for the board and installing it.
1) ABS Light will not go out, and the ABS is in fact working. The remanufactured module is now communicating with the scanner, before it was not.
2) Coolant sensor light is coming on, then after a while (10 minutes or so) it goes off, sometimes it stays on until restarted, which sometimes makes the “check engine” light come on as well. Sometimes it clears after several starts, sometimes it does not. Note: The coolant sensor has been replaced with a new one.
3) Parking lights do not flash when locking/unlocking.
Note: Numbers 1 and 2 were doing this before the computer replacement. It was supposed to clear up after the new board was installed.

I have spent a great deal of time and money on this vehicle because my Son really loves this vehicle. I remember the feeling and I remember watching it go to the junk yard because I could not afford to repair it. I will not let that happen to him. Any help on any or all of the above problems would be greatly appreciated I assure you. I thank you for reading this.
Regards,
R E Spangenberg
USMC (ret)
rspangenberg@ec.rr.com
Old 01-30-2015, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I have no idea about the computer system, but hopefully someone else does. Do you need the lights to go off for inspection? I mean if you get the stuff checked out while the lights are on, and nothing is wrong other than the lights, I'd just ignore them. I'd take it to a mechanic and have him check your sensors and whatnot while the lights are on, and if they're working you're golden. The lights can be stupid things too. My gas cap wasn't tight one time so I had the check engine light