Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1996 ZJ Courtesy Light & Radio Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1996 ZJ Courtesy Light & Radio Failure

Let me start off my saying that I have been a long time visitor to the forum but never posted a question. The is a load of very useful information on here and the collaborative efforts by everyone make this forum a success.

My issue started this past Saturday when I returned from two weeks' vacation. When I went out to my ZJ which had been sitting unmoved for the entire two weeks I noticed that my interior lights didn't come on when I opened the door. To add to this, my stereo (an aftermarket unit), turn signals, 4 way flashers and vanity mirror lights were all not working either.

I have checked all the fuses under the dash, as well as those under the hood. My rig is a RHD 4.0 with only 46K original miles on the clock. She is my daily driver and this is the first issue I have had with her, but I cannot stand electrical problems as they more often than not elude those trying to fix them.

If anyone can give me some pointers one where else to look I would be very appreciative.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by CaymanZJ
Let me start off my saying that I have been a long time visitor to the forum but never posted a question. The is a load of very useful information on here and the collaborative efforts by everyone make this forum a success.

My issue started this past Saturday when I returned from two weeks' vacation. When I went out to my ZJ which had been sitting unmoved for the entire two weeks I noticed that my interior lights didn't come on when I opened the door. To add to this, my stereo (an aftermarket unit), turn signals, 4 way flashers and vanity mirror lights were all not working either.

I have checked all the fuses under the dash, as well as those under the hood. My rig is a RHD 4.0 with only 46K original miles on the clock. She is my daily driver and this is the first issue I have had with her, but I cannot stand electrical problems as they more often than not elude those trying to fix them.

If anyone can give me some pointers one where else to look I would be very appreciative.

Welcome to CF. Sounds like a nice Jeep. I'd look at the battery and cables first. How old is it? Remove the cables and clean them and the battery terminals thoroughly. Then charge the battery, or take it in and have it tested. When you leave it parked for a length of time, in the Power Distribution Center (the black plastic box under the hood behind the battery), there's a fuse called the Ignition Off Draw fuse. You can remove it and place it in an empty cavity for storage.
IOD is a normal condition where power is being drained from the battery with the ignition switch in the Off position. The IOD connector feeds the memory and sleep mode functions for some of the electronic modules, as well as various other accessories that require battery current when the ign. switch is in the "Off" position, including the clock.

Last edited by ol"blue; 08-22-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:20 AM

Thanks Dan,

I actually tried that last night when I got home from work, and the outcome is still the same. I then started messing around with the multifunction switch and realized that with my headlights on and when I hold my high beams on (not just the regular click) everything comes on. This tells me that either the fault is with the multifunction switch, headlight switch, or wiring between the two. Do you have any thoughts on this? I don't want to order a new multifunction switch just to have the same result. Is there a way to test the MFS?

Andrew
Old 08-23-2012, 09:23 AM

Forgot to mention that the battery and cables are all fairly new less than three months old. The Battery is a Motorcraft model and the cables are from custombatterycables.com (the 40/30 kit).

Andrew
Old 08-24-2012, 12:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

I really can't answer that Andrew. I can't find in my manual a test for the MFS, and I'm not very good at looking at wiring diagrams.
My guess would be the dimmer switch (MFS) though, as it seems to cure the issue when you hold pressure on it.