Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1996 grand cherokee dash panel issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 12:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder
Default 1996 grand cherokee dash panel issue

Hello Everyone

vehicle: 1996 jeep grand cherokee limited 4.0l v6 engine

my vehicle had been sitting for a while as everything went to heck for me for a while. recently I had some work done to get the jeep back up and running(crankshaft position sensor, minor work like fuel filter o-rings for oil adapter etc).

then I noticed the alternator on the dash panel was not working right it when idling was at 12vols or lower, figured it was probably the original alternator and purchased a new one.

also figured i'd get the light switched replaced at the same time due to dash lights flickering (well not this vehicle last one, but every so often about once every two or three months my dash panel would just quick working/freeze up for about 30-90 seconds then come back on) it would do this for a day or two then no problems for months. many people here said my light switch was going bad or was bad. plus my head lights would turn on by themselves at night and off all night long recently.

person came yesterday (think he was rushing to get stuff done)

replaced the alternator and light switch and replaced what was supposed to be dash bulbs into my turn signals and such, although they look cool green like they are i wanted them for my dash.

I am not sure how to explain the dash other than when you first turn the key all the lights light up and when you start the vehicle the gauges don't move now (they did at first) but as soon as those lights turn off (engine, oil, etc lights) nothing works not even the mileage spot and if you watch the video at the end there is a strange noise it makes it does it when the vehicle is running but its hard to hear so this is when its not running.

i'd love to hear opinions and what i should do to find the problem, i am not really a mechanic but i can try stuff myself if i have the tools and such.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pobuswx4ov...22425.mp4?dl=0
Old 02-24-2017, 12:17 PM
Seasoned Member

not sure if this would explain it or even been an issue.

the lights i had wanted replaced in the dash that he used on teh turn signals (4 total) are led lights

theses to be specific:
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-13-2017, 05:28 PM
Seasoned Member

ok ran into something interesting the other day.

while wanting to do a test on the alternator (multi-meter would not work)

had to jump start the vehicle

so i decided if i just let the vehicle to run for 5-10mins if the alternator was not charging it would die pretty quick. it ran and never died so i am assuming its charging but i'd like to find out for piece of mind.

well anyways while it was running i was inside the jeep messing around(now in retrospect i probably should not have been) anyways i was looking at the dome console on top (still partially not clipped together) and was checking and moving it around seeing where the clips was.

all of a sudden all the dome/maps lights turned off even though set to be on.
and
the dash panel started to work.
moved again lights came on dash panel off
moved lights off
dash panel started to work.

so it appears the dash panel problem is related to that but how?

any idea's on this would be greatly apprcieated