Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1995 Jeep 5.2 Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1995 Jeep 5.2 Overheating

I know this thread has been covered, but, every situation has a different set of factors. I'm a new guy to the forum and relatively new to the Jeep community. I love my Jeep, but, she is a little sick right now. So here goes...

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L...

Replaced Water Pump, 185 T-stat, 50/50 green with tap water, No leaks in Radiator, new cap, fan clutch is working all the time. Water boils into the overflow. No steam from the tail pipe or water in the oil. Currently no AC. I'm going to replace the compressor and evaporator this weekend. Oil press. at 40 PSI at idle and 70 PSI while under way. No skips, new plugs, wires and cap. No oil leaks. Runs around 200-210F during normal operation. Runs hotter while sitting in traffic and will eventually overheat. The big issue is that I own a 17ft Center Console boat around 3000-3500 lbs. As soon as I put any kind of load to the truck it will overheat immediately if I don't run the heat at full blast. While in tow during the day the truck will overheat even with the heater running. At night when it cools off a bit the truck will hover around 230-245F. Heat blows hot whether the engine is cold or hot. I'm at a loss...

HELP!

Old 06-17-2014, 05:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Have your exhaust checked out, a clogged exhaust will cause the engine to run hotter.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Overheating???

Originally Posted by sticksthedrummer
I know this thread has been covered, but, every situation has a different set of factors. I'm a new guy to the forum and relatively new to the Jeep community. I love my Jeep, but, she is a little sick right now. So here goes...

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L...

Replaced Water Pump, 185 T-stat, 50/50 green with tap water, No leaks in Radiator, new cap, fan clutch is working all the time. Water boils into the overflow. No steam from the tail pipe or water in the oil. Currently no AC. I'm going to replace the compressor and evaporator this weekend. Oil press. at 40 PSI at idle and 70 PSI while under way. No skips, new plugs, wires and cap. No oil leaks. Runs around 200-210F during normal operation. Runs hotter while sitting in traffic and will eventually overheat. The big issue is that I own a 17ft Center Console boat around 3000-3500 lbs. As soon as I put any kind of load to the truck it will overheat immediately if I don't run the heat at full blast. While in tow during the day the truck will overheat even with the heater running. At night when it cools off a bit the truck will hover around 230-245F. Heat blows hot whether the engine is cold or hot. I'm at a loss...

HELP!

Mine is blowing the O-ring for the heater bypass on top of the water pump, maybe this is your issue also. I know absolutely nothing about that part of the system, if anyone else is having this problem could you please help me out?