Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1994 LTD... Trouble starting / slight hesitation on throttle tip in.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Default 1994 LTD... Trouble starting / slight hesitation on throttle tip in.

Ok guys....first a brief explanation. The Jeep is a 1994 Grand Cherokee Limited. I will be using this as my Demolition Derby car this year. I had great luck with the 1998 I used last year

So here's the issue. After sitting for a while it will crank over all day long, but not fire. If I hit it with a few sprays of starting fluid it comes alive and will stay running no problem. If I let it run for a few minutes, then turn it off, then back on it will start fine.

Also, it has a slight hesitation when you first hit the throttle, but recovers and rev's normally after. I should add that the exhaust is now cut off just before the cat, but that shouldn't effect anything.

I have yet to install my fuel system so its all stock from pump to rails. I am thinking TPS sensor, but you guys know Jeeps better than I at this point....

Random Question...what year did they switch to a returnless fuel system on these...last years 98 was returnless, but this 94 isn't.

Thanks in advance guys
- Travis
Old 05-25-2010, 02:47 AM

Model: Grand Cherokee

Really? no one's had this issue before?
Old 05-25-2010, 04:25 AM

Model: Cherokee

Could be maybe be a timing issue? Does it make a tapping sound or idle rough? you can always get another tps sensor for a couple of bucks at your local Pick N Pull and see if it makes a difference. Maybe the free flowing exhaust is messing with the oxy sensor? did it have that problem before you cut the exhaust off?never cared for fuel injection or computer controlled ignition Honestly, So not much experience with them but couldn't leave ya hanging either.

Last edited by Truckstop; 05-25-2010 at 04:40 AM. Reason: im an idiot that cant spell...