Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

05 Grand Cherokee Satellite Receiver

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 05 Grand Cherokee Satellite Receiver

I have an 05 Limited and am having problems with the Sirius satellite receiver. I am considering replacing it, but I cannot seem to find anything that tells me the location of the receiver. I think it is in the right rear quarter behind the wheel well, but not sure. Can anyone tell me where it is located or know of a YouTube video that shows replacing it? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 1JeeperCreeper; 01-20-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:08 AM
jpk

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JeeperCreeper
I have an 05 Limited and am having problems with the Sirius satellite receiver. I am considering replacing it, but I cannot seem to find anything that tells me the location of the receiver. I think it is in the right rear quarter behind the wheel well, but not sure. Can anyone tell me where it is located or know of a YouTube video that shows replacing it? Thanks in advance!
According to my 05 FSM the sat antenna is located in the upper right side at the rear and it is on the outside, on the roof in front of the lift gate. The wire connecting the external antenna passes through a hole in the roof where the antenna is mounted and secured. It appears by the drawings it is not an internal antenna. HTH's.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:40 AM

Yes, I understand the antenna is located outside. It has short leads on it that connect inside the roof area to a harness that goes to the satellite receiver (which is what I am looking for) then goes up front to the radio from the receiver. In the parts manual it shows the receiver mounting, but does not show enough surrounding area to tell exactly where it is located. It is a rectangular unit that attaches to the body and appears to be on the right side rear, but I can't tell exactly.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:13 PM

Guess I won't need to know the location anyway. I removed the radio and the connector from the satellite receiver wasn't making good contact for some reason. I removed it a couple of times and snapped it back on and now everything works fine. If you ever need to replace one of the receivers you may want to find one from a salvage yard as my dealer wanted over $500 for a new one!!
Old 02-05-2017, 06:15 AM
jpk

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JeeperCreeper
Guess I won't need to know the location anyway. I removed the radio and the connector from the satellite receiver wasn't making good contact for some reason. I removed it a couple of times and snapped it back on and now everything works fine. If you ever need to replace one of the receivers you may want to find one from a salvage yard as my dealer wanted over $500 for a new one!!
What radio do you have in your WK? I have installed a Mygig RER from an 08 in mine. Since my WK originally had just an AM/FM/CD player in it I don't have the antenna or receiver in mine.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:04 AM

I originally had an RAQ factory installed radio. I changed it to an 07 REC GPS/Backup camera radio. Since the old radio didn't have GPS I had to install a GPS antenna (about $30 if you shop around). That is no problem, it just plugs into the radio and there is already a mounting place for it on the instrument panel in front of the radio. Since the original radio already came from factory with Sirius satellite the antenna on top of the vehicle and wiring harness was already installed. All I had to do was plug the original connector into the radio. Since your radio did not come with satellite you would have to purchase and install the receiver (#05064002AJ $40 used on Ebay for an 05 not sure how many years this will cover), the antenna with cables (#05091504AC for an 05) and wire harness from the antenna to the satellite receiver (# 56038716AC 05). Now it gets serious. It looks in the parts list that there are several combos on the wiring harness to the front of the vehicle and then several combos of the dash harness that connects to the radio. The only other way I see you could do it would be to cut the connectors for the satellite receiver off of a salvaged car and then run the wiring direct to the radio instead of using a factory harness. It appears to be a major project since the car did not come with satellite. There is also a Mopar satellite installation kit (#82210940AD) on Ebay for between $75-100. It looks like it has enough wire to make the trip up front, but I don't know the details about it. Also it does not show or mention the receiver. I will do some research and see if I can find out more about it for you. Cipher on this a bit and get back to me with the year, model, eng., ect for your vechicle and we'll try to take it from there. Some of the others may have some solutions also.