Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

04 JGC Power Train Control Modual

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 04 JGC Power Train Control Modual

Just purchased an 04 JGC with 105,000 miles. As I was driving it stalled on me and wouldn't start back up. Called tow truck and when he got there it started right up but I had him tow it to a dealership anyway...the same dealership that replaced the coil pack on 2/29/12. Now they say it is the Power Train Control Modual and it will cost me $971.50. Can anyone tell me if they have had this problem and was this the correct fix? I don't have the money to waste on guessing games. This is so unsafe...I mean no warning or anything just lost power driving down the highway!bAlso I did a little research and found that there is usually an underlying cause for this modual to go bad. Should they be looking for something else as well?

Last edited by aubsgram; 03-20-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

A thousand bucks is spendy, but you will not find an aftermarket PCM available anywhere. There is a slight chance the old one can be sent out and repaired for a couple hundred dollars, but then you'll have about two weeks of down time and you're not really sure if that was the problem and there is not much of a warranty. Have the dealer check into any kind of emission warranty that may cover some of the cost, see if they can pull some strings. What do you have to lose?
Old 03-20-2012, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by Bustedback
A thousand bucks is spendy, but you will not find an aftermarket PCM available anywhere. There is a slight chance the old one can be sent out and repaired for a couple hundred dollars, but then you'll have about two weeks of down time and you're not really sure if that was the problem and there is not much of a warranty. Have the dealer check into any kind of emission warranty that may cover some of the cost, see if they can pull some strings. What do you have to lose?

Thank you for your unput. I will definately have the dealer check into any kind of emission warranty. I would have never thought of that.