Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

04 Grand Cherokee Limp mode issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default 04 Grand Cherokee Limp mode issues

Ok so I have this 04 GC that I have been trying to figure this out for a while, I can't so maybe someone knows what the hell is going on. runs and drives, but I can barely press on the gas peddle, if I press the gas to far the jeep revs up but looses power and then drops off all together, It slowly builds up to about 65 is my max cruising speed, anyone know what the issue could be?
Old 11-02-2016, 07:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

I'd use my crystal ball but sometimes a good code reader can put you right on target. What you're describing can be caused by several different things.

My gut response to what you describe is that it sounds like a fuel issue, like maybe your gas cap is not venting, your fuel is contaminated or your fuel filter is dirty?

When you crack open the gas cap after a drive is there a whooshing sound (like you just broke a vacuum seal)? If your answer is yes then you may have a bad gas cap, but that would cause emissions- or fuel-related codes resulting in a Check Engine light.

You can get more help but you have to provide better details like .... Which engine and driveline are you running? Was any severe duty driving done before this issue started? Was there any rework performed prior to when this behavior began? Have you coded it yet?!?!

Last edited by Cherryokee; 11-02-2016 at 07:35 PM.