Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

02 Jeep WJ 4.7 Laredo Idle and Accelerartion problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7
Default 02 Jeep WJ 4.7 Laredo Idle and Accelerartion problems

So for about 2 months now I've been dealing with this idle and acceleration issue. At times, when driving around shopping, the jeep will rough idle at stop light. When leaving stores while shopping, the jeep will sometimes not start. just got back from Yosemite, and had times where it wouldn't start, or while driving, when I would try to accelerate, it would begin to sputter and jerk like it was at a lost for fuel.
Things I've replaced ....
-fuel filter
-fuel pump
-IAC sensor
-4 fuel injectors
-ignition coils

Other things that I've replaced due to wear and tear ....
-radiator
-thermostat
-water pump
-A/C condenser

yesterday was when I replaced the fuel pump, within 5 miles of driving, I had a Check engine light come back on, not sure what the code is, need to get it pulled. This morning on the way to work, it began having a hard time accelerating. it will cruise fine, but stepping on the gas while driving uphill will sputter or loose acceleration. And I check my MPG, it said I am 35.9. And this is less than 24 hours of replacing the fuel pump and having to disconnect the battery. So it did reset itself.

ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

If it were mine I would take it to a dealer to have it repaired properly and stop throwing money at it when none of those items work.

On some things its cheaper to go the dealer route instead of just keep the money train running to no avail!

JMHO
Old 08-02-2015, 10:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ

There is much to be said about the benefits of fixing your own vehicle. I wouldn't discourage anybody from doing that. However, I learned a long time ago that the "trial and error" method of trying to figure out whats wrong, you know replacing parts randomly based on either my own assessment, or that of others, can be non productive and expensive. A shop around here charges in the area of $120. an hour labor. If it took them an hour to figure this out. You could be well ahead financially. If it took them less. You'd be great. I wouldn't take it to the dealer , but a good reputable shop. You could still learn about your vehicle but at a lower cost. These 1999 and up Grand Cherokees are complicated and sophisticated and not easy for the average Joe like us to work on competently. Mine has been to, two mechanics in two weeks. I still don't have it back and I don't know what the damage$ will be. I wish I could help you more than I just did.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Try holding the tripmeter reset button down, turn the key to the on position and then release the trip button. The gauges will sweep and the warning lights will come on, the diagnostic code will appear in the odometer readout.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:03 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2L
Default 02 Jeep WJ 4.7 Laredo Idle and Accelerartion problems

Fuel pressure regulator?
Old 08-03-2015, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Try holding the tripmeter reset button down, turn the key to the on position and then release the trip button. The gauges will sweep and the warning lights will come on, the diagnostic code will appear in the odometer readout.
I tried holding the trumpeter reset down. It did run they 0-9 and then said done. But I still have a check engine light on.

As far as a dealer or mechanic. Yes that looks like the route I'm going. I am stubborn and was trying to figure it out for myself to have future knowledge of this keeps since there not going away any time soon. But yes I am at a stand still. Thanks guys for your 2 cents.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ

I did not get a code for my PCM problem either.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:49 AM

When the car is in the off opposition and then you hold down the trip meter and turn the car to the on position in the gauges go from 0 to 1 what is that resetting? When the WJ is acting up and didn't want to start before. I can do this now. And it will let me start the jeep.

Last edited by ALWAYZ-FILTHY; 08-05-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:56 PM

So a little update. Found a P0123 which was the throttle position sensor. Replaced that and no code for that anymore. But I'm still getting the a P0320 which is either a crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, defective wiring or a misfiring engine. I have replaced the crankshaft position sensor back in March of this year. So I'm going to check the wiring to see if the oil leak is causing the code. If not I'm going after the camshaft position sensor and update u guys later.