Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very new to this

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Very new to this

I just bought myself a lifted 2000 XJ has a 8" lift N'th degree long arm setup off a wrangler on 33/12.50r15 it has 190,000 miles.

First question, i know nothing about lifted jeeps what should i take into consideration about driving one with a 8" lift?

2nd i just changed the oil and oil filter i cleaned the k&n drop in filter what other kind of maintenance should i do ? It seems to drive fine i guess for an off road vehicle it does shift kinda hard from park to drive maybe transmission service?

3rd how simple would it be to add a few more lights and what else should i look into doing on this jeep?

Heres how it is right now
Name:  IMG_20140202_165928.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  103.3 KB

and a picture of the other owner "wheeling"
Name:  FacebookIMG_136840723725892.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  38.2 KB

all input greatly appreciated!
Old 02-04-2014, 07:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Front and rear bumpers with tow points.
Winch
Rear Disc Brakes

Lighting is easy, but be sure to but the right lights in the right location. This will help:
http://support.kchilites.com/index.p...ight-patterns/

Fog lights should be below the headlights
Driving/Flood lights should be at headlight height
LongRange lights should be overhead and positioned to minimize glare on the hood.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I'm thinking just an led light bar on my roof. After reading reviews of the eBay light bars they don't seem too bad.

What about maintenance I know changed the oil but 190k miles is a lot for any car. And since my trans is shifting hard should I change trans fluid and filter? I've heard mixed reviews about changing the trans fluid.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Pretty nice, have any further plans for it? As long as you change the pan gasket to the trans youll be good. Drop the pan, chagne filter, refill. In a week drain and refill, than in another week do again, this is to get as much new fluid in as possible. Some stays in the tcase, DONT GET IT FLUSHED
Old 02-04-2014, 11:21 AM

main reason i signed on here was for some advice. Im new to lifted jeeps all together so what else would you do if you were me? All i can think of would be new bumpers and more lights. ill post some pictures of under the jeep in a little so you guys could tell me what you think.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:30 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Flush the coolant system. Our XJ' get hot & the 200 to 2001's have been known to overheat and crack the heads. NOT all 2000-2001 have this issue, but some have been known to overheat & crack. Might as well flush differentials & transfer case if it's crossed any water crossings you'll want to get good fluid in there.

Besides that, welcome & get a build going with lots of Picts.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:02 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by lowballer
main reason i signed on here was for some advice. Im new to lifted jeeps all together so what else would you do if you were me? All i can think of would be new bumpers and more lights. ill post some pictures of under the jeep in a little so you guys could tell me what you think.
Theres alot you can do, swap the back for a 4 link and coils instead of leafs. Stroke the motor out to a 4.7. The list is endless just need some creativity. **** if I were you with that much lift, Id find some d44s, gear, lock, and run some 37s. My next project is full blown maitenance, seafoam, Oil, tranny fluid, diff fluid, all filters, plugs, wires, injectors, possibly a 60mm throttle body, cowl intake, some hood vents, and maybe a second fan. I would like to have her running around 170-180.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:18 PM

Cool thanks for the advice I think first thing I'll do is all the maintenance . Any of you guys have experience with eBay led light bars? I went out yesterday and was having a very hard time seeing with just my stock headlights.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:29 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Cool thanks for the advice I think first thing I'll do is all the maintenance . Any of you guys have experience with eBay led light bars? I went out yesterday and was having a very hard time seeing with just my stock headlights.
Ya, head lights suck at best. I installed the Rampage H4's from quadratec. Also installed Hella driving lights on the bumper. Just make sure they're aligned properly. You may want to realign your headlights. Since it was lifted your lights are probably lighting up the tree tops.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

Originally Posted by PurpleToxin505
Pretty nice, have any further plans for it? As long as you change the pan gasket to the trans youll be good. Drop the pan, chagne filter, refill. In a week drain and refill, than in another week do again, this is to get as much new fluid in as possible. Some stays in the tcase, DONT GET IT FLUSHED
you can have the transmission flushed. as long as the process is done with a bleeder bag instead of a pressurized system. I had mine "flushed" and all my sticky grindy shifts were gone

I would like to have her running around 170-180.
reason being? these things like running at 210 you know
Old 02-04-2014, 07:37 PM
CF Veteran

I run Silver Star Headlights and a home-made harness.

One of the downfalls of the XJ's lighting system is that the power for the lights goes through the headlight switch. Wiring directly to the battery and using a couple relays to switch between high and low beams makes a tremendous difference.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:40 PM
CF Veteran

Reason, they may like it at 210 bit all engines love to be cool. Less heat soak the better.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:43 AM

So one of my end links snapped while off roading so right now I'm driving without the sway bar. The back seems to sit a bit lower than the front somebody said a shackle would help even it out. Is this true if so what kind do I look for?
Old 02-05-2014, 12:58 AM

Reason, they may like it at 210 bit all engines love to be cool. Less heat soak the better.
oh yeah?

Most modern engines are designed and engineered to run at around 200 degrees. This allows the oil to heat up enough to dissipate moisture and fuel that has accumulated. This also allows the oil to reach its optimal viscosity for preventing wear.

Running a lower temperature thermostat on an engine that has not been tuned for that temperature hurts your gas mileage as well. As well as preventing your heat from getting as hot as it should. Your computer is expecting to see a certain temperature from the sending unit... to me its throwing a lot of processes off..
Old 02-05-2014, 07:01 AM
CF Veteran

So one of my end links snapped while off roading so right now I'm driving without the sway bar. The back seems to sit a bit lower than the front somebody said a shackle would help even it out. Is this true if so what kind do I look for?
You're supposed to disconnect the sway bar when you go wheeling and reconnect at the end of the run.......