Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trail rig and seeking your input.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Trail rig and seeking your input.

This won’t really be a "build" as much as a minor upgrade. But, I do need your help as you have been there done that so to speak.

The goal of this is a trail rig. Keep repeating that. (I think that is a note to self as much as anything?) As mentioned in my intro thread, I have another ride for faster fun. Haul an ice chest, few guns, dogs and woman is the goal. Not a daily driver.

Base: 1996 Cherokee Classic w/ 31” and mild lift. Manual w/ 4.0. Currently has a minor leak at rear main seal, but at the end of 200k I am good with that and figure that will be tended to in a bit. Will also be replacing shocks.

My thought process:

1. Replace seats – I have a set of Corbeaus that I was going to use in my sand / desert car, but they did not work, and that was cool because I knew I could use them in a Jeep. So, will be installing Corbeau suspension seats.
2. Already talked to my fab guy, we will be making a minor interior roll bar / cage. Again, not serious here, just in case of rut roh. The bar will have mount point for four point Crow belts – I am used to five points and just feel better with them when off road.

Beyond that I am open and would ask for suggestions on what to do next. I was am thinking:

1. Front bumper with winch. Has a trailer hitch already and I see no benefit on replacing rear bumper as hitch is drag spot anyways.
2. Roof Rack
3. Rhino Line flares / rocker panels.

As a direct result of this board, and this thread:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/cou...heeling-11829/

I have changed my build "plans."

Will be including Armor Armor Armor! Somewhere on this board there is a discussion on spare tires on the roof. Well, after reading up on real world stuff, and what others thoughts that will get nixed. Will be getting a rear bumper with tire mount for the extra cargo space.

So what will get me the most bang for my buck and what order? What are some must haves?

This will be kind of slow for a bit as the other ride is undergoing major upgrade$ right now.

Thanks in advance.

Name:  IMG_4582_zps629171f1.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  30.0 KB
Name:  jeepfromcl2_zps6852e6d1.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  31.7 KB
Old 07-23-2013, 08:31 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 6 cyl

I think armor should be first get that whole underside protected especially if your gonna be moderately low for lift but bumper and winch isn't a bad place to begin either...

Any thoughts on which winch or bumper?

Bigger tires to lol IMO
Old 07-23-2013, 08:36 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l

Open on both winch and bumper. That's why I seek input.

Always cheaper to learn from others than make mistakes.

On the tires - coincidentally times for new ones. Don't really want to get bigger. Will defeat purpose somewhat. Bigger is more stress, etc. Will need to cut trim, lift, etc. Just not wanting to go down that road of sequential upgrades / failures. I play that game enough with desert / sand car.

Last edited by yummi; 07-23-2013 at 08:38 PM.