Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Tool Box Build

Old 03-01-2012, 08:01 PM
N2L

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default The Tool Box Build

Well after owning the Cherokee for about 2 years I've finally started a build thread.

I bought this Cherokee in August of 2010 from the original owner with 123k miles. Its an AW4 4.0L HO Cherokee SE. Couldn't have asked for a better place to start from.

Here she is the day I got her:
Name:  IMG_20101031_101219.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  74.9 KB

Here in Virginia we have to deal with "State Safety Inspections" that can be a real pain. My first state inspection came shortly after purchasing the XJ, and I found out quickly I had some work to do. I decided while I was fixing a lot of the inspection issues, I might as well make some improvements!

I purchased a complete 3" lift kit from Rusty's Offroad. I also snagged a set of 4 Jeep 5 spoke alloys, and some 30" Firestone Destination A/Ts. I'm not normally an AT type of guy, but I paid 250 for everything once it was all mounted and balanced. Here she is after the lift:
Name:  IMG_20101116_133651-1.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  100.9 KB
Here is the kit:
Name:  IMG_20101029_182350.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  30.9 KB

After I got to this point I went on a 6 month deployment. When I got home to the Jeep the radiator blew out on me, the paint had been pretty badly sunburnt, and there was enough surface rust on the roof & hood to warrant a coat of rusto! Here she is after I popped in a new rad, primered her up, and rehab'd the tails:
Name:  1312122021131.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  19.7 KB

The primer got a little boring, and I'm not a fan of the shiny silver finish on those alloys so I grabbed a few cans of VHT Epoxy Paint in Satin Black. Sadly I don't have any daylight shots when she was at this stage for some reason:
Name:  2011-09-15_02-26-41_986.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  33.1 KB

I started to get real sick of these A/Ts, and I figured if I'm going to get new tires they might as well be bigger! Now, I'm not about to try to jam a set of 33s onto a 3" lift, so I grabbed some lift shackles, spacers, extended brake lines, and UCAs/LCAs from Rusty's once more. This was an eventful lift because of the LCAs, but I got it done with a little help from my new angle grinder. I work all day so pretty much every picture I get to take is at night... All the same here is a shot from right after the completion of the jump to 4.5":
Name:  2011-10-22_19-36-59_940.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  49.4 KB

I had some rear axle problems, so I decided to grab a new Chrysler 8.25 from a 2000. Picked it up for 50 bucks, and swapped in a set of disc brakes off of a 96 Grand Cherokee. Here is the new axle all put together ready to go in:
Name:  2011-10-21_13-19-11_171.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  66.2 KB

That about brings this up to speed. I've got another cruise coming up in about a week, but when I get back she is getting some more love. I've got the gears (4.56s) already, and an Advance Adapters Slip Yoke Eliminator. So when I get back I'll be installing those parts, and some other goodies. I'm not sure if I'm going to jump up to a 6" kit yet or not so most everything else is to be determined.

Hope you guys like what I've done so far. If you're in the Norfolk/Tidewater area give me a shout. I'll be back around in November, and ready for some good winter wheeling!

Thanks for reading.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: I6 4.0 L

Sweet jeep man! I'll be following this.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999 sport 4x4

Originally Posted by N2L
Well after owning the Cherokee for about 2 years I've finally started a build thread.

I bought this Cherokee in August of 2010 from the original owner with 123k miles. Its an AW4 4.0L HO Cherokee SE. Couldn't have asked for a better place to start from.

Here she is the day I got her:

Here in Virginia we have to deal with "State Safety Inspections" that can be a real pain. My first state inspection came shortly after purchasing the XJ, and I found out quickly I had some work to do. I decided while I was fixing a lot of the inspection issues, I might as well make some improvements!

I purchased a complete 3" lift kit from Rusty's Offroad. I also snagged a set of 4 Jeep 5 spoke alloys, and some 30" Firestone Destination A/Ts. I'm not normally an AT type of guy, but I paid 250 for everything once it was all mounted and balanced. Here she is after the lift:

Here is the kit:

After I got to this point I went on a 6 month deployment. When I got home to the Jeep the radiator blew out on me, the paint had been pretty badly sunburnt, and there was enough surface rust on the roof & hood to warrant a coat of rusto! Here she is after I popped in a new rad, primered her up, and rehab'd the tails:

The primer got a little boring, and I'm not a fan of the shiny silver finish on those alloys so I grabbed a few cans of VHT Epoxy Paint in Satin Black. Sadly I don't have any daylight shots when she was at this stage for some reason:

I started to get real sick of these A/Ts, and I figured if I'm going to get new tires they might as well be bigger! Now, I'm not about to try to jam a set of 33s onto a 3" lift, so I grabbed some lift shackles, spacers, extended brake lines, and UCAs/LCAs from Rusty's once more. This was an eventful lift because of the LCAs, but I got it done with a little help from my new angle grinder. I work all day so pretty much every picture I get to take is at night... All the same here is a shot from right after the completion of the jump to 4.5":

I had some rear axle problems, so I decided to grab a new Chrysler 8.25 from a 2000. Picked it up for 50 bucks, and swapped in a set of disc brakes off of a 96 Grand Cherokee. Here is the new axle all put together ready to go in:

That about brings this up to speed. I've got another cruise coming up in about a week, but when I get back she is getting some more love. I've got the gears (4.56s) already, and an Advance Adapters Slip Yoke Eliminator. So when I get back I'll be installing those parts, and some other goodies. I'm not sure if I'm going to jump up to a 6" kit yet or not so most everything else is to be determined.

Hope you guys like what I've done so far. If you're in the Norfolk/Tidewater area give me a shout. I'll be back around in November, and ready for some good winter wheeling!

is it me or is that pier 11-12 at Norfolk naval base??
Thanks for reading.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:09 PM
N2L

DaveD,

That is indeed the Pier 12/11 parking lot!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:47 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 ho i6

hey i randomly stumbled on to this thread i was looking at the picture and im like hey i know that shop... im in on base havent seen your jeep around