Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spitys 1996 2wd Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Spitys 1996 2wd Build

Hey guys,

I'm new around here so cut me some slack if I post stuff in the wrong areas.

I had been looking for a 2 door Cherokee for some time that wasn't abused or totally wore out. I came across this one in a craigslist add at about 2am after I got off work. I was surprised that it was a 4 cylinder 2wd with a 5 speed. This is the only factory blue one like this ive ever seen. The owner had parked it because of a low oil pressure issue. I went and checked it out, and snatched it up. It had nice snow tires, and I figured I could junk it if didn't work out and still make a couple bucks. Its pretty rusty, as most Maryland Jeeps are but only in the floors and rockers.

Turns out being a couple quarts low on oil can really set off that oil pressure light. Doesn't appear to be leaking or burning oil. I'm in this thing cheap enough if it needs an engine later down the line, I think I'm still doing alright.

I haven't done much to it so far other than rip out the interior, and start to cut out the rust. I used to do rust repair and restoration work for a living so this should be pretty easy. I've ordered all the panels I need except the rear cargo area. I'm on a time constraint because of work, so i opted for preformed panels instead of fabricating my own.

My current goal is to just get it back on the road, and getting everything working as it should. Modifications will happen, because I cant leave well enough alone.
Name:  DSC07906.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  86.3 KB

Name:  DSC07901.jpg
Size:  115.5 KB

I am looking for seat reinforcement braces if anyone know where to find them new or used...?
Old 06-30-2014, 07:14 PM

No love for the 2x4 crowd here I guess. I have the floors mostly cut out now. Im waiting on back ordered parts. Floor pans, and inner and outer rockers on the way. I didn't realize one piece floor pans were available or I would have ordered those.

Name:  DSC07913.jpg
Size:  107.1 KB

My seat frames were trashed so I scored a set of cores from a local jeeper to repair mine. Also acquired the seat reinforcement braces I need to reweld to the floor. I think I paid to much for the braces but Its something I don't have to waste my time looking for anymore.

Current plans are for a turbo, and a modest lowering.

Currently looking for a short throw shifter in the used market.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:51 PM

It's not about the 2wd its about the engine is not the 4.0 wooooo
Old 09-20-2014, 05:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4litre

I do like that color, its unique. My old boss had a 2.5l jeep and beat the snot out of it, throw a locker in the rear and wheel it!