Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A simple engine swap in a MJ

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 12:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default A simple engine swap in a MJ

Well since my Mj has not sold, I am going to be doing the engine swap with some help of a few friends. I started to get things ready to start today.

Jeff gave me tis engine a while back. This came ot of his MJ and was/is a good running motor. It also has an AX5 trans behind it. When Jeff pulled it, He disconnected the wiring and pulled it complete. That will be the way it goes back in.

Here is where we will be doing it. In my driveway. I went and bought 3 sheets of 3/4 plywood, cause I know my engine lift will not roll in that stuff. IF you look closely.. you can see some of the Urban legend you hear some ppl talk about PONG

Here is the Jeep pulled up on the work area. The engine is covered back up. I think the area is a lil tight, but can be done.

More to come tommorrow
Old 10-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Lookin' forward to the update PingPong.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Well the project is done. A huge THANKS to Jeff and Derrick for coming out to the house and lening a hand. First off I think I picked a bad weekend to do work outside. IT was down right windy at my house. We even had a good rain come through at one point.

Jeff started off by pulling the header panel and radiator out of the way. Of course there was added issue being this rig had AC

Then it started raining a lil.. so got out the 10'x10' EZ up shelter.. which meant breaking out a spot light.

Here we are pulling the motor.. or shall I say pushing the jep back. Derrick is the counter weight.. while Jeff raises the motor

Well here the whole drivetrain is out. There are not many more pics after this.. because this is where the work got interesting.

Here it is all back together. A lil over 6 hrs later job was done and jeep was running. We had a few bumps.. who would have thought that wiring harnesses change in a model yr.

Again thanks to Derreck and Jeff for coming out. Now I have to go check the potatoes