Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red 2000 XJ Expedition Build.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Red 2000 XJ Expedition Build.

Starting this build thread for my second xj. I picked it up a few months ago and clean and rust free but higher mileage (195k). Currently has 204k miles now and I've done the basics. Changed all the fluids, brakes, changed the belt, put in a Bluetooth radio, and checked everything out. Runs like a top. Shortly after that I herculined the rockers and the bottoms of the doors including the bumpers. Then I put on some hood vinyl stickers. Most recently I wired up a remote start and this week my lift should be arriving. Rubicon express 3.5 super ride with monotone shocks because of the deal they have going right now. Here's a few pictures so far.

When I first picked it up.

Taking the kayaks out to the lake.

Bed lined sides.

Bedlined sides.

Camping up by bay city.

Deer hunting up in wolverine.

Also put on some kc slimlites.

The vinyls on the hood.

I'll put up some more pictures after the lift. The ultimate plan for this xj is to travel the US. First trip is already planned. This summer I'm going to the Grand Canyon. Future plans will be to move the tire outside either on a roof rack or rear bumper. Also I'm going to get a jcr diy front bumper. What ideas do you guys have for my expedition rig?
Old 03-06-2017, 06:42 PM

This was my first xj. Never should've got rid of it.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:26 PM

Year: 2001

Looks good so far! What tires size/brand you plan on running?
Old 03-07-2017, 05:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 250 Likes on 168 Posts
Year: 1999

Nice canvas! Makes me happy knowing I'm not the only one wanting to travel the U.S. in an old Jeep.

I got the same lift when I first lifted mine. Half of its ditched by now, but the leaf packs are still rocking with zero intent of sagging. They were nearly 5 inches when I first installed them. Nearly three years later and plenty of miles, and they're closer to 4 inches now haha.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by 01EXPOXJ
Looks good so far! What tires size/brand you plan on running?
Im thinking about sticking with the stock wheels and running 31x10.50 BFG AT/KO2. Might go with the cooper at3 though. Im still researching.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Battle
Nice canvas! Makes me happy knowing I'm not the only one wanting to travel the U.S. in an old Jeep.

I got the same lift when I first lifted mine. Half of its ditched by now, but the leaf packs are still rocking with zero intent of sagging. They were nearly 5 inches when I first installed them. Nearly three years later and plenty of miles, and they're closer to 4 inches now haha.
Yep you aren't the only one! Im starting with a grand canyon trip this summer so hopefully that goes smoothly. I just looked at your build and it was your pictures that made me decide on that lift. Thanks! lol
Old 03-07-2017, 08:49 PM

Nice looking rig. i'm trying to go the adventure route as well. The wife and I plan to travel the U.S. in my XJ as well. Trying to get it in tip top shape! I have the 3.5 inch RE Super Ride /w Monotube Shocks. Very happy with it! Although the lift is definitely higher than 3.5 inches so be prepared for some driveline vibes. Good Luck and I'll be watching to get some ideas for myself.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by quicksdraw92
Nice looking rig. i'm trying to go the adventure route as well. The wife and I plan to travel the U.S. in my XJ as well. Trying to get it in tip top shape! I have the 3.5 inch RE Super Ride /w Monotube Shocks. Very happy with it! Although the lift is definitely higher than 3.5 inches so be prepared for some driveline vibes. Good Luck and I'll be watching to get some ideas for myself.
How does that suspension ride with the monotubes? Ive heard mixed reviews.
And how did you deal with the vibes? Just a tcase drop? or did you get an sye and driveshaft?
Old 03-08-2017, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by huntking24
How does that suspension ride with the monotubes? Ive heard mixed reviews.
And how did you deal with the vibes? Just a tcase drop? or did you get an sye and driveshaft?
I have no complaints with the ride quality. I did a Rusty's 3 Inch lift on my last XJ and the RE Super Ride rides a whole lot better than that one did. Also, I ended up getting a RT SYE/Driveshaft from Adams Driveshaft for about $400. I would recommend them plus their customer service is great! I read to many horror stories about T-Case drops and I didn't want to have to mess with it later on. Very happy I did!
Old 03-08-2017, 06:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I give y'all props man....ain't no way I'd travel the U.S. in an xj....just does not have the comfort of my newer vehicles. My truck would be my "camp all over the United States vehicle" haha
Old 03-08-2017, 06:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Martlor13
I give y'all props man....ain't no way I'd travel the U.S. in an xj....just does not have the comfort of my newer vehicles. My truck would be my "camp all over the United States vehicle" haha
Same here...I'm transferring to Alaska from Florida this summer and I'm shipping my XJ and driving my wife's Sorrento. They're just not on the same planet when it comes to road tripping.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by cbs_24
Same here...I'm transferring to Alaska from Florida this summer and I'm shipping my XJ and driving my wife's Sorrento. They're just not on the same planet when it comes to road tripping.
Its all about the experience!
Old 03-09-2017, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by quicksdraw92
Its all about the experience!
Exactly! Its all about the experience. But honestly i think the xj is pretty comfortable. The seats are pretty good but there is alot of road noise compared to newer vehicles. Can't beat the nostalgia of an old jeep though. And it brings back good memories. My dad had 2 cherokees while i was growing up and the last one became my first vehicle.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

I have a rubicon express 3.5 with zone off-road shocks and it rides great
Old 03-09-2017, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by huntking24
Exactly! Its all about the experience. But honestly i think the xj is pretty comfortable. The seats are pretty good but there is alot of road noise compared to newer vehicles. Can't beat the nostalgia of an old jeep though. And it brings back good memories. My dad had 2 cherokees while i was growing up and the last one became my first vehicle.
I think the Cherokee is a pretty comfortable ride. I drove my old one all over the United States with no problems and enjoyed it. Only uncomfortable thing is the road noise but even that is not that bad. I had my last one for about 5 years, should have never gotten rid of it. But, I'm going to make this one even nicer!