Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.

Project "red, red whine."

Old 08-05-2018, 10:47 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 71
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Project "red, red whine."

Bought my 99 classic about 2 months ago. Poor guy i bought it from was mechanically inclined. Not knocking that. But i have a stack of receipts where he paid to have tons of work done. And they just bent him over. He paid to have a stereo and speakers and amp installed. Had his winch wired. And some of them cube lights. Well here is a pic of that mess. Everything was loose and the battery had melted around the + post.

What a mess.
so i went bought my battery and new terminals. Cleaned it up a bit. Sure there is something better. But this was quick and easy. And will work for now.

Now a little neater. And safer.
Tntxj is offline  
Old 08-06-2018, 04:07 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
aka"dude"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: north east CT
Posts: 576
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Looks good! Keep fighting the good fight! Great song too.....
aka"dude" is offline  
Old 08-06-2018, 11:22 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 71
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default It is a good song.

I like ub 40s version. There is another version i believe. After I came back from Germany i met my wife , she had a 72 or so triumph spitfire in red, and this song was popular then. Way back in 86. So I figured the cherokee looking kind of like a red wine i would change it shine since I will be doing a lot of that.
found out today the rear speakers are hooked to the front control. But that is a job for another day. Repaired drivers side window control. Just replaced the passenger side and put some insulation in the door. Now the fob seems to work each time but now the switches are wonky.

Last edited by Tntxj; 08-06-2018 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Error
Tntxj is offline  
Old 10-24-2018, 12:47 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 71
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Well it has been awhile. Been too busy. I recently added a putco light harness.

Well I added the harness. What a difference. Stock lights are brighter. Now my cubes are too bright for road use. And I think the added ground has improved the whole system. I swear my mpg is better. The takeoff power is crazy. It will break traction easy. I did order some new e hole rims. But I may have messed up. I accidentally ordered 31x15x10s instead of 8s. Anyone running 31x15x10s with 31x10 tires on a 3" lift? I do have all the parts now for my t case upgrade and over haul. Adams driveshaft sye with driveshaft, the HD Chain upgrade, New oil pump, New seals, glides, and bearings. Of course the weather has turned to crap. Maybe I will get started on it soon. Well gotta run. Stay safe.
Tntxj is offline  
Old 11-01-2018, 12:42 AM
  #5  
Junior Member
 
FriskySquatchXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Springville,California
Posts: 74
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: Renix 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by Tntxj View Post
Well I added the harness. What a difference. Stock lights are brighter. Now my cubes are too bright for road use. And I think the added ground has improved the whole system. I swear my mpg is better. The takeoff power is crazy. It will break traction easy. I did order some new e hole rims. But I may have messed up. I accidentally ordered 31x15x10s instead of 8s. Anyone running 31x15x10s with 31x10 tires on a 3" lift? I do have all the parts now for my t case upgrade and over haul. Adams driveshaft sye with driveshaft, the HD Chain upgrade, New oil pump, New seals, glides, and bearings. Of course the weather has turned to crap. Maybe I will get started on it soon. Well gotta run. Stay safe.
Hey man you should be fine with the 31x10s, they're just gonna stick out a little farther and possibly rub a little, it'll look really good though! I have 15x8 rims on a 31 inch tire and they stick out pretty far!
FriskySquatchXJ is offline  
Old 11-02-2018, 04:46 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 71
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default

Originally Posted by FriskySquatchXJ View Post
Hey man you should be fine with the 31x10s, they're just gonna stick out a little farther and possibly rub a little, it'll look really good though! I have 15x8 rims on a 31 inch tire and they stick out pretty far!
not sure some folks say the rim will stick out beyond the tire.
But i did get my t case out. Gonna do some under coating in that area while it is out. Only have about an hour a day to work on it. So it took me 3 days to drop the t case.
Tntxj is offline  
Old 11-02-2018, 08:04 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
RockinRonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Evart,Mich.
Posts: 509
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

No matter how long it takes doing it yourself is so much more rewarding then having someone do it for you!
RockinRonnie is offline  
Old 11-04-2018, 02:01 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 71
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default

Originally Posted by RockinRonnie View Post
No matter how long it takes doing it yourself is so much more rewarding then having someone do it for you!
Amen. Besides I grew up poor if we needed or wanted something it was rebuild or make. If you want it done right do it yourself. As long as I am done before the show and really cold temperatures.
Tntxj is offline  
Old 11-05-2018, 12:48 AM
  #9  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 71
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Had to buy a few goodies today.

Well got tired of fighting nuts and bolts. Asked the wife if she wanted to take a drive into town. About 40 miles to harbor freight. She does not like going in the store because of the smell. Told her i would not be long. Ha ha. I come out and she asked if i bought the whole store.

Tntxj is offline  
Old 11-10-2018, 09:07 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 71
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Sye and tc upgrade done.

Got everything rebuilt and back in. Just waiting on wife to get back with fluid. Phone locked up when taking pics the other day. Fixed it yesterday, or it fixed itself maybe. But i did get a puc of it done.


Tntxj is offline  
Old 11-11-2018, 02:43 AM
  #11  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,789
Default

Originally Posted by Tntxj View Post
Got everything rebuilt and back in. Just waiting on wife to get back with fluid. Phone locked up when taking pics the other day. Fixed it yesterday, or it fixed itself maybe. But i did get a puc of it done.
I am curious as to what you used for the fill hole in the TC.
Ralph77 is offline  
Old 11-11-2018, 07:30 AM
  #12  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 71
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default New plug.

Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
I am curious as to what you used for the fill hole in the TC.
I found the plug at advanced auto. If you do not have that store in your area it is like o'reilys or auto zone.
Tntxj is offline  
Old 11-11-2018, 07:48 AM
  #13  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,789
Default

Originally Posted by Tntxj View Post
I found the plug at advanced auto. If you do not have that store in your area it is like o'reilys or auto zone.
Do you have a part number?
Ralph77 is offline  
Old 11-11-2018, 12:02 PM
  #14  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 71
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Oops.

Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
Do you have a part number?
no i sure do not. It was just hanging with their plugs. The size and threads matched the original.
Tntxj is offline  
Old 04-05-2019, 01:16 PM
  #15  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 71
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Been busy. Or lazy.

This may be a bit long. When I bought my 99 it was on 30s and it was really peppy. It had a slight miss. I figured a tune up would fix it. I ordered a tune up kit. Let it sit until the weather got better. But the xj just stayed peppy as all get out. I was thinking maybe someone already put in 4:10 gears. I mean it would burn the tires off. Well the weather got better and I installed the tune up. My pep was gone. The miss was gone too. So I figured it had to be the plugs. Checked the info on the old plugs. They where Bosch platinum plus 4s. A bit expensive but what a difference they make. More pep and better mpgs.
Also got the rear shocks changed. That was a bit of a chore. Had to buy an air chisel, flag nuts and put on bar pin eliminators. Hope the front goes better.
Tntxj is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
gowestwardho
Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here!
1
05-07-2016 12:14 PM
Sean1125
Jeep Builds
20
01-02-2013 03:22 PM
ncxj33
Jeep Builds
32
09-17-2012 09:55 PM
miglia-spyder
Jeep Builds
68
12-31-2011 11:22 AM
xPlover24x
Jeep Builds
11
06-12-2011 07:52 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project "red, red whine."


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: