Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project "red, red whine."

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 10:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Project "red, red whine."

Bought my 99 classic about 2 months ago. Poor guy i bought it from was mechanically inclined. Not knocking that. But i have a stack of receipts where he paid to have tons of work done. And they just bent him over. He paid to have a stereo and speakers and amp installed. Had his winch wired. And some of them cube lights. Well here is a pic of that mess. Everything was loose and the battery had melted around the + post.

What a mess.
so i went bought my battery and new terminals. Cleaned it up a bit. Sure there is something better. But this was quick and easy. And will work for now.

Now a little neater. And safer.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:07 PM

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Looks good! Keep fighting the good fight! Great song too.....
Old 08-06-2018, 11:22 PM

Default It is a good song.

I like ub 40s version. There is another version i believe. After I came back from Germany i met my wife , she had a 72 or so triumph spitfire in red, and this song was popular then. Way back in 86. So I figured the cherokee looking kind of like a red wine i would change it shine since I will be doing a lot of that.
found out today the rear speakers are hooked to the front control. But that is a job for another day. Repaired drivers side window control. Just replaced the passenger side and put some insulation in the door. Now the fob seems to work each time but now the switches are wonky.

Last edited by Tntxj; 08-06-2018 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Error
Old 10-24-2018, 12:47 PM

Default Well it has been awhile. Been too busy. I recently added a putco light harness.

Well I added the harness. What a difference. Stock lights are brighter. Now my cubes are too bright for road use. And I think the added ground has improved the whole system. I swear my mpg is better. The takeoff power is crazy. It will break traction easy. I did order some new e hole rims. But I may have messed up. I accidentally ordered 31x15x10s instead of 8s. Anyone running 31x15x10s with 31x10 tires on a 3" lift? I do have all the parts now for my t case upgrade and over haul. Adams driveshaft sye with driveshaft, the HD Chain upgrade, New oil pump, New seals, glides, and bearings. Of course the weather has turned to crap. Maybe I will get started on it soon. Well gotta run. Stay safe.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:42 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: Renix 4.0, 748 Injectors

Originally Posted by Tntxj
Well I added the harness. What a difference. Stock lights are brighter. Now my cubes are too bright for road use. And I think the added ground has improved the whole system. I swear my mpg is better. The takeoff power is crazy. It will break traction easy. I did order some new e hole rims. But I may have messed up. I accidentally ordered 31x15x10s instead of 8s. Anyone running 31x15x10s with 31x10 tires on a 3" lift? I do have all the parts now for my t case upgrade and over haul. Adams driveshaft sye with driveshaft, the HD Chain upgrade, New oil pump, New seals, glides, and bearings. Of course the weather has turned to crap. Maybe I will get started on it soon. Well gotta run. Stay safe.
Hey man you should be fine with the 31x10s, they're just gonna stick out a little farther and possibly rub a little, it'll look really good though! I have 15x8 rims on a 31 inch tire and they stick out pretty far!
Old 11-02-2018, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by FriskySquatchXJ
Hey man you should be fine with the 31x10s, they're just gonna stick out a little farther and possibly rub a little, it'll look really good though! I have 15x8 rims on a 31 inch tire and they stick out pretty far!
not sure some folks say the rim will stick out beyond the tire.
But i did get my t case out. Gonna do some under coating in that area while it is out. Only have about an hour a day to work on it. So it took me 3 days to drop the t case.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:04 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

No matter how long it takes doing it yourself is so much more rewarding then having someone do it for you!
Old 11-04-2018, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by RockinRonnie
No matter how long it takes doing it yourself is so much more rewarding then having someone do it for you!
Amen. Besides I grew up poor if we needed or wanted something it was rebuild or make. If you want it done right do it yourself. As long as I am done before the show and really cold temperatures.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:48 AM

Default Had to buy a few goodies today.

Well got tired of fighting nuts and bolts. Asked the wife if she wanted to take a drive into town. About 40 miles to harbor freight. She does not like going in the store because of the smell. Told her i would not be long. Ha ha. I come out and she asked if i bought the whole store.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:07 PM

Default Sye and tc upgrade done.

Got everything rebuilt and back in. Just waiting on wife to get back with fluid. Phone locked up when taking pics the other day. Fixed it yesterday, or it fixed itself maybe. But i did get a puc of it done.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Got everything rebuilt and back in. Just waiting on wife to get back with fluid. Phone locked up when taking pics the other day. Fixed it yesterday, or it fixed itself maybe. But i did get a puc of it done.
I am curious as to what you used for the fill hole in the TC.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:30 AM

Default New plug.

Originally Posted by Ralph77
I am curious as to what you used for the fill hole in the TC.
I found the plug at advanced auto. If you do not have that store in your area it is like o'reilys or auto zone.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

I found the plug at advanced auto. If you do not have that store in your area it is like o'reilys or auto zone.
Do you have a part number?
Old 11-11-2018, 12:02 PM

Default Oops.

Originally Posted by Ralph77
Do you have a part number?
no i sure do not. It was just hanging with their plugs. The size and threads matched the original.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:16 PM

Default Been busy. Or lazy.

This may be a bit long. When I bought my 99 it was on 30s and it was really peppy. It had a slight miss. I figured a tune up would fix it. I ordered a tune up kit. Let it sit until the weather got better. But the xj just stayed peppy as all get out. I was thinking maybe someone already put in 4:10 gears. I mean it would burn the tires off. Well the weather got better and I installed the tune up. My pep was gone. The miss was gone too. So I figured it had to be the plugs. Checked the info on the old plugs. They where Bosch platinum plus 4s. A bit expensive but what a difference they make. More pep and better mpgs.
Also got the rear shocks changed. That was a bit of a chore. Had to buy an air chisel, flag nuts and put on bar pin eliminators. Hope the front goes better.

Quick Reply: Project "red, red whine."