Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Jeeps....My MJ and XJ

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O.
Default Project Jeeps....My MJ and XJ

Well I've got two little projects that I'm starting to work on, it'll be slow to start with but should get better.

Project #1: '96 XJ Country (Daily Driver)
Auto/4wd/4.0 H.O.

So far: All I've really got done is there's a K&N open filter on it, repainted, headliner and a cd player. I've got tons of plans for it but the big problem is the fact that I'm not allowed to do anything to it major right now b/c of project #2 dieing on me.

Plans: Add a small lift kit (2-3inches), build a roof rack, a set of BFG all-terrains, exhaust system, remove rear sway bar, quick disco's on the front, give it alittle more power and either lockers or LSDs for the frontend and rearend.

Project #2: '88 MJ Pioneer (was daily driver)
5spd/2wd/4.0 Renix

So far: It's got a B.B. lift on the front (1.5 spacer and XJ coils), replaced the stock rearend with another D35 with alittle better gear, swapped in a set of 2door tilting XJ buckets and full console, and dropped the BA-10 for a AX-15 from a 95(I think) XJ. But thanks to getting water in the tank, at least that's what I'm saying did it, the rings in the motor went poo and now it needs rebuilt.

Plans: Do a full '96 XJ drivetrain swap (4.0HO (with newer ECU)/Auto(maybe)/4wd, replace the bed, somewhere around 4.5-6inches of lift, 33inch M/T's, lockers front and rear, '97+ front clip, and a paint job I've been tryin to finsh in my head.

-Cody
Old 09-27-2009, 08:22 PM
CF Veteran

Model: Grand Cherokee

Great looking Jeeps...

I do like the MJ... I am actually surprised the MJs bed is in that bad of shape compared to the front fenders though... replace that and youll be golden... I like the color too...

I cant tell, is that a 6 or 7 foot bed?
Old 09-27-2009, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Great looking Jeeps...

I do like the MJ... I am actually surprised the MJs bed is in that bad of shape compared to the front fenders though... replace that and youll be golden... I like the color too...

I cant tell, is that a 6 or 7 foot bed?
LWB, 7 footer. Yeah the other side of the bed is worst thanks to a light pole and an HHR. It was a Ohio truck and they just let the bed rot away, but the front has very little if any rust on it. I found another bed for it for $200, it's got a dent in it but no rust anywhere so I'm either gonna go with that bed or loose the bed and either make a flat bed or a custom tubed/paneled bed I've been dreamin up.

-Cody
Old 09-27-2009, 08:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

2 nice projects you have there Cody.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:44 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Codycobra84
LWB, 7 footer. Yeah the other side of the bed is worst thanks to a light pole and an HHR. It was a Ohio truck and they just let the bed rot away, but the front has very little if any rust on it. I found another bed for it for $200, it's got a dent in it but no rust anywhere so I'm either gonna go with that bed or loose the bed and either make a flat bed or a custom tubed/paneled bed I've been dreamin up.

-Cody
$200 is what my dad paid for his...lol It came off a truck that caught on fire...
Old 10-03-2009, 06:32 AM

Well I've got alittle progress going on with the truck. My new boss said he would be alright with me bringing it to the shop as long as I can come up with a engine for it within a week. I've found a guy that just pulled a Renix 4.0 out of a '89 MJ b/c he layed the truck on it's side and tore up the cab. He wants $150 for it but I'm gonna try to talk him down to $100. It's got 190K miles on it (my MJ has 198K anyways) but it comes with some new parts and he even said he'd load it on the trailer for me. So if I get the engine then be ready for the pics, if not then MJ goes bye bye .

-Cody
Old 10-07-2009, 09:04 AM

Well.....due to money issues and an up comming wedding....mine lol, don't have the funds to put a engine into the money pit. So if anyone needs any parts from the MJ let me asap. I'm gonna try to take some stuff off of it and part out the rest.

I'm bummed.......
Old 10-07-2009, 03:21 PM

Year: 1985
Engine: 2.8L V6

I'm sorry dude, that really sucks. Have fun at your wedding, keep buildin' the XJ!
Old 11-28-2009, 12:42 PM

Well, it's been awhile since I've updated things with either of the Jeeps. The XJ is still runnin and driving every day, had to do some repairs on it a month ago..radiator/thermostat/external tranny cooler/sway bar endlinks and also removed the rear sway bar as well...and now come Monday I've gotta change the oil and while I'm in there change the rear main seal/clean out the pan and oil pickup tube/new pan gasket. The MJ is still in the same spot it has been in, the good thing is that I've got alittle extra time on it for now so I haven't been forced to sell and/or junk it yet but I'd love to find a cheap 4.0 and drop in it or even a 4BT but either way I'd love to just get it back on the road again.

Oh and funny thing, how I'm not allowed to mess with the Jeep, I think I'm gonna try to pull the "let me lift it......it'll be my X-mas present" line and see if it'll work....I got the lift that's on the MJ just sitting there so it'll be free.

-Cody