Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Here goes nothin'

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Project Here goes nothin'

Well where do I start, I bought a 90 xj limited for the wife to haul the rug rats to school. Got a good deal on it, then the DMV got involved ( gotta love CA). Fixed the bendix 9 ABS, it's laying on the floor of the garage, a few odds and ends and it was on the road! I drive it for a week and it runs great, so I turn over the keys and whadoyaknow!!! It overheats and she hates it...... So now I have this extra jeep staring at me every morning, mocking me, and it hits me! I mean what else am I supposed to do with it? I really have no other choice. So I start thinking...... This is where something bad usually happens, the wife ends up mad and that kids either laugh or cry.

So the plan is, to build a weekend wheeler in which I can load up the family and the camping gear, drive it down the highway, set up camp and hit the trails! So what's the plan you ask.. was that you? Well I've got about all the tools I need to build about whatever I want, funding is another story.
I'm thinking a low COG rig, nothing wild, 31" tires, or maybe slightly larger, I'm leaning towards the copper discoverer sst's. I don't want to swap axles right now so I want to keep the traction down. I'll build my own bumpers, roof rack,....and cage????? Its getting a winch, just not sure which one yet.

So I have this Freind who works for this little shock manufacturer here in town, I make a couple phone calls and find out what the DR. recommends. Soooo I ordered the RE 3.5" coils today, the 7100's will get ordered tomorrow, and the 1 1/4" johnny joints are soon to follow. So that's the plan for now, and the motto is " it's easier to beg for forgiveness, than ask for approval" but I'll probably be asking for approval cause the wife is pretty easy going when I start rambling about my jeep stuff.... Kinda like you guys! But way better looking!!! So since she doesn't wanna hear it you guys are gonna read it.

I'm all ears for suggestions, criticism, questions, dirty jokes, or whatever! I'll try and get some before pictures up for you guys. Thanks for stopping in, come back soon, I'll try and follow through on this thread, I'm hoping it'll keep me motivated and overcome my short attention span!!!

Project Here goes nothin'-image-298307664.jpg

Project Here goes nothin'-image-595548822.jpg

Project Here goes nothin'-image-2772797125.jpg

Here goes nothin!
Old 08-06-2013, 07:22 PM

So a few weeks ago I pocke.... Procured some dodge neon injectors from the junkyard to throw in the 4.0l. Nothing wrong with the way it runs already, but who doesn't want just a little more horsepower? On my way home I stop and see Manny, Moe, and Jack about some injector O rings. The following weekend, while the wife wasn't looking, I run out to the garage and pop the hood, wasting no time to pull the retaining clips off the wire harness, remove the bolts for the fuel rail, and start gently sliding injectors out. Tuff little buggers they can be! But I got them out, and before she got suspicious too!!! So I pull the last injector and take a minute to inspect these old single hole pintle type units, but wait! What's that little oval on the side, it says Ford??? And there are 4 holes in the end of these things!! Not 1, it turns out somebody has beat me to the punch on this upgrade! Sweeeeet, but now I've gotta put it back together, and I think the wife is looking for me! So the moral of this story is look before you leap, or pull your injectors. It seem like this old jeep may hold a few surprises! Like sway bar quick disconnects, took about 3 minutes to disconnect it!

Project Here goes nothin'-image-870921603.jpg

And this is what happened when my son asked why we have to wear seat belts as I was driving back from the neighbors house!

Project Here goes nothin'-image-442252510.jpg
Old 08-08-2013, 10:35 PM

Santa's brown sleigh brought goodies today, and my front shocks were done getting valved too!! Sooo excited for the weekend, I'm thinking one more day and its jeep time!! Then the work phone rings..... "Uuuuuumm, yeah..we're gonna need you to come in on Saturday, that'd be greeeaaat"
So there goes the jeep time, like a fart in the wind.

Project Here goes nothin'-image-3452676143.jpg

But I did have an extra 5 minutes so I pulled the front tires and shocks!
Old 08-11-2013, 02:56 PM

Got the springs on today, going to need to fab some shock towers/ engine cage. I saw some nice set ups on pirate, but noticed they are either lacking fenders or smog equipment, and I'm hoping to keep both. I guess it's just gonna be tight??? Please post pics if anybody is reading and has some ideas! I think I'm going to try and get the upper shock mount as close to the hood as possible, they are 12" 7100's.

Project Here goes nothin'-image-1053526539.jpg

Funny thing is that I could roll around town like this and nobody would find it stupid, gotta love east county! ( that's for the San Diego guys out there)

Project Here goes nothin'-image-1199334023.jpg

Project Here goes nothin'-image-4221714579.jpg

Flexes pretty good without shocks or sway bar, but feels like driving a pogo stick around the driveway! I won't lie, it's a little fun, I was laughing my ***** off the whole time!