Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Elwood

Old 02-26-2014, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Project Elwood

Well I'm another broke high schooler with a jeep lol. Progress is slow but sure. This will probably be a slow thread because of my usual lack of funds, but my tax return just came so I should be able to get the next couple parts.
Let me get y'all up to speed. So far, upgrades are minimal. I've lifted it 4.5 inches, put on cragar soft 8s, 31 inch BFG all-terrains. I've taken off the fenders, started trimming them, and painted the front diff cover.
It's a 1988 5-speed. I've got the NP231, front Dana 30, rear Dana 35 (I believe those are the right specs, correct me if that sounds wrong) but I'm not sure which tranny case I have. Hopefully the AX15.
So I got this jeep from my granddaddy back in July. He bought it new in 88, but for the past 3-4 years it's been sitting in a driveway uncovered. Once I got the jeep, I took it to my mechanic and got it checked out. I had to fix the rear brakes, blinkers, a couple hoses, new air filter a new battery and some other repairs you would expect of a 25 year old xj that had been sitting for 3 years. Cost me about 500 bucks.

Waited til about September, and then bought.... A rough country 4.5 inch lift with AALs. I did absolutely no research on lift kits, had never heard of a slip yoke eliminator or tranny case drop or the reputation of Rough Country. But my uncle and I got the lift on with no real problems, I threw on the new tires, that's where I'm at. Since then, I've had some lift issues, but I'm working them out.
Since then, I've done some minor things. I took off the headliner, installed a radio, put on a couple stickers and some other accessories.
My next step is to install a sye and cv driveshaft, replace the fuel injectors and fuel pump (they're leaking like crazy) and replace the master cylinder for the clutch.

Future upgrades:
Finish trimming fenders
Fix some spots of rust
Rhino line lower half of the body
Put in a sound system
Extended brake lines (brake line brackets from RC aren't cutting it)
Try to fab some rocksliders ( never welded before: wish me luck)
Remove front and rear sway bars
A flag mount on the rear bumper
Front bumper
New headlights
Half doors

It should pick up in the summer because I'll be working Moreland makin more money. Hopefully at an auto shop or maybe discount tire. I currently work at a brusters, but as you can imagine, the ice cream business ain't too active in the winter.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow and hopefully finish up trimming the front fenders. Please offer up any advice, critiques, and comments!! Thanks y'all.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF! Ill get it out there first but of you're gonna do some wheelin get rid of the turdy-five. Horrible rear axle. Add a leafs wasnt the best choice but you'll learn. It'll start to sag and you'll prob get full leaf packs. Id look into an Slip yoke eliminator. Then they will prob rag on rough country but lile you said you are broke lol you'll learn. Good luck man. Keep looking threw the forum and learn as much as you can.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Condonsation
Welcome to CF! Ill get it out there first but of you're gonna do some wheelin get rid of the turdy-five. Horrible rear axle. Add a leafs wasnt the best choice but you'll learn. It'll start to sag and you'll prob get full leaf packs. Id look into an Slip yoke eliminator. Then they will prob rag on rough country but lile you said you are broke lol you'll learn. Good luck man. Keep looking threw the forum and learn as much as you can.
Yeah i know the D35 is a POS, but i plan on keeping my 31s for a while so i think ill be ok at least until i move up to 33s
Old 02-27-2014, 02:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Do you got a picture
Old 02-27-2014, 03:57 PM

Project Elwood-image-3712583199.jpg

From stock