Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project: Desert Storm (2000 Cherokee Sport)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Project: Desert Storm (2000 Cherokee Sport)

So, long story short, the last time I was around here (about a month or two ago) I had a '91 Cherokee Laredo. As I began the tear down process I discovered that it was really too rusty to use as anything more than a trail toy. So, I threw it up for sale and took the first cash offer that came my way. From there came a long line of missed purchases and dead-end leads on another XJ to replace it with. Finally, one day a friend of mine gave me a lead on a decent-sounding XJ that was one county over from me that seemed promising, so I checked it out and bought it the next day.

Name:  C22BBFE3-2A5F-461B-BC2E-3DC17AFFD094-14523-00000913C7FE68A4.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  555.8 KB

It's a 2000 Cherokee Sport in Desert Sand Pearlcoat with 280,000 miles on the clock and the NP242 Selec-Trac full-time four-wheel drive transfer case. The mileage is high, sure, but this Jeep is solid all the way around with no rust (aside from one small spot on the roof and some on the cheaper aftermarket tow hitch) or massive leaks. The interior is still in reasonable shape and it doesn't squeak or rattle over bumps, potholes, and gravel roads (and it was driven on a gravel road regularly for the last 5 years of its life). In fact, this Jeep is in such good shape for its age, I still have all of the books, most of the receipts, and the warranty cards for all of the aftermarket stuff.

That said, it does have a few typical quirks such as a wacked-out master power window and door lock switch, one bad bumper end cap, a saggy headliner, and it isn't totally immune to the heat soak issues that seem to plague last-run models like mine, but it drives good and hasn't let me down yet after driving it a total of 120 miles over the last few days since I bought it. This is all also on what I suspect might be the original 0331 head. All things considered, it's a solid and reasonably maintained starting point.

I spent some time before and after work doing small clean-up projects on the XJ and this is how she sits at the moment:

Name:  SANY1240.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  165.6 KB

Aside from working on the exterior, I've replaced the oil with high-mileage Mobil and cleaned the injectors until I can replace them with a new reman'd set when I have a comprehensive tune-up and cooling system overhaul done before fall arrives. Then, it's on to the wheels, tires, and lift, then an interior overhaul, and doing further small to medium projects on the exterior.

Last edited by black-knight98xj; 07-20-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Nice start. If you don't mind what did it set you back?

Black89
Old 07-21-2013, 08:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Nice find. I like the color!
Old 07-22-2013, 08:26 AM

Thank ya, sir! The color is one small reason why I like my Jeep so well. You rarely see Desert Sand XJs running around.

Originally Posted by Black89
Nice start. If you don't mind what did it set you back?

Black89
Thanks! I paid $1,500 for it. At first, I thought the price was kind of steep considering the mileage, but the more I realized it was well taken care of, the less it bothered me.

The CEL did come on last night and it was running rough, so I swung by O'Reilly's and had the codes pulled. It was a cylinder three misfire code. So, since I figured that I needed new spark plugs anyway, I decided to buy a set and immediately change the number three plug ASAP. Long story short, changing the plug solved the problem and I discovered that I have crappy Bosch Platinum 2 spark plugs in my Jeep (likely the cause of the problem in the first place).

Last edited by black-knight98xj; 07-22-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:05 PM

Well, the damn cylinder three misfire code reared its ugly head again last night, along with a code for an open circuit on fuel injector three. The heat shield around the injectors is trashed, so I'm not sure if this is a heat soak issue, a fuel injector issue, or possibly a coil pack issue. It's gotta be one out of the three, though.

However, if it is a heat soak issue, I don't think it would explain why changing the number three plug helped it out for three days. I'm almost betting money on a bad injector here.

I bought a few odds and ends today. This stuff is mostly restore and repair items, so yeah, this thread is going to be slow and boring at first. The good stuff should be coming down the pipeline over the next few months.

Name:  0C0661F3-8551-43B7-BE08-A612FD28A9E8-3249-0000021565B81F78.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  385.9 KB
Old 08-02-2013, 11:39 PM

Well, a new fuel injector solved the problem mentioned earlier. I think I'm going to swap in a set of Neon injectors around the same time I clean out the throttle body assembly and the IAC and TPS, change the gasket, and fit a spacer, but that's after I finish catching the Jeep up on some basic stuff.

Now I have a bucking/stalling issue I need to sort out.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:43 PM

Fixed the bucking/stalling issue. A faulty crankshaft positioning sensor was to blame. I knew these things were typically junk before I bought this XJ, but the first new one that O'Reilly's sold me was defective out of the box. The one on there now is a Borg-Warner (BWD).

After that, I ran a can of Seafoam through the Jeep (160 MLs in the gas tank, crankcase, and throttle body each) and cleaned everything out. Surprisingly, I didn't have a half-hour smoke show like I initially expected. After about five to seven minutes, the exhaust was clear again with the exception of some water and tiny flecks of carbon.

Now, it's time to get down to business. Finally.

Build Sheet: 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport "Desert Storm"

Body:
  • Color: stock Desert Sand Pearlcoat paint with Gunmetal Blue-Gray accents for badges (a la Cherokee Classic), grille, hood vents, headlight bezels, roof gutters, fender flares, and rear license plate accent*
  • Bushwacker flat flares
  • SPECD Composite front headlamps with LED DRLs, clear marker lights
  • LED Taillights
  • Orvis rear liftgate spoiler*
  • Safari roof basket with spare tire mount and front and rear trail lights
  • Rocker panel rock sliders
  • Upgraded front and rear bumpers
Suspension and Tires:
  • Rusty's Off-Road complete 3" inch lift kit
  • Jeep Wrangler Rubicon "Moab" rims painted Gunmetal Blue-Gray with Desert Sand accents
  • 31" all-terrain tires
  • Shocks (Fox Racing Shocks) and swaybars will be upgraded in later build phases
  • Durango steering box (other options will be investigated)
Interior:
  • Color: Camel with black accents
  • Headliner upgraded with modern woven material
  • Front seats upgraded to late-model Civic Si buckets (or similar seats with heavy bolstering), rear seats upgraded with headrests, new upholstery all around
  • ZJ, KJ, or XK Steering Wheel swap and upgrade
  • New carpet, vinyl cargo area
  • Molded floor mats
  • Dynamat in doors, roof, and floors
  • Overhead console with display delete
  • Wrangler gauge cluster swap with chrome trim
  • HVAC **** upgrade ('01 Dakota?)
  • Alpine headunit (CD player undecided) with upgraded speakers
  • CB Radio, Mag-Lite mount, First Aid Kit
Powertrain:
  • Upgraded and rebuilt 4.0L using some stroker parts and slightly higher compression; throttle body, headers and exhaust, fans, and fuel injectors will all be upgraded
  • Refreshed AW4 and NP242

*Roof and spoiler may be painted Gunmetal Blue-Gray. Undecided.

That pretty much covers the specifications of the whole Jeep. The goal is to make something that is very comfortable and capable on and off-road and very modern. I'm sort of benchmarking the interior of my 2011 Dodge Charger here for comfort, refinement, and noise.

Why build my Jeep this way instead of making it a hardcore trail toy? Well, eventually I'll probably sell the Charger to lighten my debt load (I'm undecided on that; I don't have to, but it would be nice to have a vehicle that is completely paid for again considering my college debt). The Jeep will be my sole vehicle from that point on if that happens. Additionally, regardless of mileage, the value of our XJs are going up. This leads me to believe that these Jeeps will undoubtedly be sought-after classics in the next decade, like the FSJ/SJ Grand Wagoneers are today. Why not be ahead of the curve and resto-mod it? I also have a desire to build a giant "F-U!" to the JK Wrangler Unlimited and '14 KL Cherokee. Regardless, updating the appearance, functionality, and powertrain of my Jeep will make it a better daily driver if or when it takes over for the Charger.

I'll have some sketches up eventually. I have a clear vision for my XJ and it needs to be on paper.

Last edited by black-knight98xj; 08-18-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: I6 4.0

I like how you think about the value of XJs. My inlaws' XJ seems to have a similar problem with codes/idling. So I'll recommend the CPS for them, didn't think of that before.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by rmoore1031
I like how you think about the value of XJs. My inlaws' XJ seems to have a similar problem with codes/idling. So I'll recommend the CPS for them, didn't think of that before.
Seriously, the cheapest sub-200,000 mile XJ on my local Craigslist right now is $1,300 bucks or so (give or take some change) and it has some pretty ugly front end damage and drive ability issues. There's also another XJ on my local AutoTrader listings that has 250,000 miles and carries a $5,500 dollar price tag. Jalopnik featured another Desert Sand '99 Cherokee that had only 90,000 miles, a 3 to 4 inch lift, and a supercharger and 51 percent of the readers said they would pay the $12,500 asking price (granted, that's a Jalopnik poll, but still). Prices are all over the board, but they are rising from what I've seen and demand isn't sinking. XJs are already becoming fairly sought after.

See if the CPS is the culprit. I know that the faulty Master Pro CPS I initially put on my Jeep made it idle like crap. It would sort of lope at idle with the revs going up to 700 to 800 RPM from 400 RPM. It also set off the CEL with a "Loss of Camshaft Crank" code. The BWD that's on now took care of all of that and it no longer quits driving down the highway (that was the original CPS causing the stalling issue and, oddly, not the Master Pro CPS).

Speaking of Master Pro, don't buy anything from them. This is O'Reilly's cheap-o brand of sensors and they're trash. I wish I had looked into the luck other people had with Master Pro stuff on these forums first before I bought the stupid thing. Stick with the Borg-Warner (BWD) or a Mopar-branded part.