Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to build for Winterfest '10

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question Need to build for Winterfest '10

Ok, So right now, I am sitting in my bunk in Iraq. But will be home in a few weeks. So I am buying another Cherokee, since like a @$$ I sold my last one last spring. But I am building it for Winter Fest this year. So I have a little money to spend so this is my build plan for now. Please let me know how this sounds. What you would change or what else I should add for the trails at Winter Fest.

First thing first:
Going to buy a XJ lol, Looking to spend no more than $2500 Should not be hard.

Now the build:
-Lift- Rough Country 4.5”
-33" Cragar Wheel and Mickey Thompson Baja Claw
-JRC OFF ROAD Front Bumper, Rear Bumper w/ d-ring mounts, Rock Sliders
-Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch
-Roof Rack... maybe custom built.

Idea for the XJ- All black. Duplicolor bed liner inside for flooring, fenders, rocker panels, bumpers and sliders. Then with a Monster Energy theme. Lime green lip on the wheels and lime green pin stripe where the factory stripping goes and the Monster log on the rear windows and back glass.

Let me know what else you would add. The cost of all this is about $5,500 and I have about $6000 to spend. What am I missing or should I add.

Thank you!

-Rhett
Old 12-16-2009, 09:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96'
Engine: 4.0 160k banks header dumping after the cat

sounds good to me man! the baha claws are my favorites i know i'm going to be upgrading to them soon. jcr's bumpers look really nice too..since you asked they only thing i would say is expect to dump a lot of money into the stuff that you cannot see. your 6,000 dollar budget should take care of it but for me buying the lift and tires was a struggle that only got worse once she was up in there air. oh and bedlining it is always worth it, i made me like my xj a whole lot more .....just i thought i hope you work for monster or they are some how paying you to run there decals on your jeep. otherwise why bother with the monster energy theme?
thank you for doing what you do over there for us Rhett

-Zach
Old 12-16-2009, 10:34 AM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche
Engine: 4.0

cant wait to see it done at WF
Old 12-16-2009, 10:50 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

i would also think about diff. covers and maybe a rear locker if you have the extra $.

i would also think about different tires. my opinion there is better tires out there for the same price. i also heard those can get slick on rocks. but either way, the plan as a whole sounds great.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by 96xj4x4
sounds good to me man! the baha claws are my favorites i know i'm going to be upgrading to them soon. jcr's bumpers look really nice too..since you asked they only thing i would say is expect to dump a lot of money into the stuff that you cannot see. your 6,000 dollar budget should take care of it but for me buying the lift and tires was a struggle that only got worse once she was up in there air. oh and bedlining it is always worth it, i made me like my xj a whole lot more .....just i thought i hope you work for monster or they are some how paying you to run there decals on your jeep. otherwise why bother with the monster energy theme?
thank you for doing what you do over there for us Rhett

-Zach
Right On, no problem I love what I do and what I am doing it for!! Bed lining the inside was something I wanted to do to my old jeep and never did. What kind of little problems did you run into? I can build a 10sec car with ease, but this off roading think to me is some-what new.

Originally Posted by 89eliminator
cant wait to see it done at WF
I have never been but I am switching the focus of my main sport. I was big into drag racing. But I am getting away from it. It is become to dangerous and not as much as a team sport as wheelin. So me and my mechanics are building this for a start. The reason for wanting to do WF is I am going to try to keep my sponsors I had for drag racing, so I need pictures and video to show them... you can guess Monster is one of them lol.

Originally Posted by JakeWI
i would also think about diff. covers and maybe a rear locker if you have the extra $.

i would also think about different tires. my opinion there is better tires out there for the same price. i also heard those can get slick on rocks. but either way, the plan as a whole sounds great.
What tires, I would like to get the best for the $$$ but the reaso I picked this combo is because like I said I am new to building a rig, my last one had BFG a/t's. I want something more aggressive and the reason I picked the MTs is because I knew the brand and loved them for Drag Racing and its part of a combo package from our local Performance auto part shop. What would be a better tire and/or wheel to go with for under $1,500 for a set of 5 wheels and tires... need a good spare right

Well thanks for all the help, I am loving this forum, every one here seems real passionate about the sport and like good people.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:41 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 Renix

hey brother, i am also in Iraq, planning out the Jeep build... I got lucky and picked up a 89 with a mild lift and 31's for 300 before i left country... it wasnt running, of course, but i got it running before i shipped... where you at? i'm at kalsu...
Old 12-16-2009, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by JeepsterXJ89
hey brother, i am also in Iraq, planning out the Jeep build... I got lucky and picked up a 89 with a mild lift and 31's for 300 before i left country... it wasnt running, of course, but i got it running before i shipped... where you at? i'm at kalsu...
Good to meet a fellow serviceman, I'm at Sather AB, it is apart of the Victory Base Complex here in Baghdad. I am trying to find another one, the newer the better since it will also be my DD. I like building my projects from scratch, that way I know whats in it. My last one was a 94 Auto 4dr with 31 BFG A/Ts and 3" lift. I loved it. What you got planned for yours?
Old 12-16-2009, 12:41 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 Renix

i'm (usually) with you on the "build it myself" thing, but damn if the price wasnt right... planning on trimming for 33's, getting flexy, rhino lining in and out, and just enjoying a fun, reliable xj... not trying to spend a ton of money, ya know?? Would really like to get a jk unlimited to dd, but will probably end up with another grand.. wj i'm guessing...
Old 12-16-2009, 01:44 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

well two of the ones many people like are the BFG KM2's, and the Super Swampers (not the thornbirds)
Old 12-16-2009, 05:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Comanche
Engine: I6 4.0L

I would factor in some basic tune up materials for when you get the jeep, new fluids and whatnot. No use building a rig if the heart of it inst mantained. other than that I like your plan and thank you for your service.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:23 AM

Ok, new question.... I may sound hypocritical in how I said I would perfer to build my own rig and not buy one. But what would you all do if you found one and the price was right. I found a 94 4dr auto, with 200k and a 4" lift on 33"s and Front bumper and Rear bumper for $2500. So This means all that would be left would be winch, rack and bed lining it. That would put me way under budget and leave room for lockers, lights, new paint (its White and Gold) I would paint it black. Maybe lift the body with the money too. And buy a atv

What would you guys do?? Would you build your own rig up from scratch and pass on a buy like this?

-Rhett
Old 12-17-2009, 02:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 H.O I6

Originally Posted by Rhett
Ok, new question.... I may sound hypocritical in how I said I would perfer to build my own rig and not buy one. But what would you all do if you found one and the price was right. I found a 94 4dr auto, with 200k and a 4" lift on 33"s and Front bumper and Rear bumper for $2500. So This means all that would be left would be winch, rack and bed lining it. That would put me way under budget and leave room for lockers, lights, new paint (its White and Gold) I would paint it black. Maybe lift the body with the money too. And buy a atv

What would you guys do?? Would you build your own rig up from scratch and pass on a buy like this?

-Rhett

Hey Rhett!

Thank you for your service! Many people say Jeeps are "Built not bought" Personally, I think it just all depends what your final purpose is versus time and money. The thing I would advise you of though, is if you are looking at a jeep someone else has lifted themselves; do a visual inspection, and ask if the owner minds if you take it to a shop to have it professionally checked. That situation is what ultimately made me decide to build my own. (And when you say lift the body, I hope you mean suspension) Anyways, hope I didnt come off sounding rude or arrogant! I appreciate what you do for this country! I do what I can by doing Search And Rescue, thats about the extent of my service lol. anyways have a good one and get home safe.

-Jake
Old 12-17-2009, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by 91Laredo
Hey Rhett!

Thank you for your service! Many people say Jeeps are "Built not bought" Personally, I think it just all depends what your final purpose is versus time and money. The thing I would advise you of though, is if you are looking at a jeep someone else has lifted themselves; do a visual inspection, and ask if the owner minds if you take it to a shop to have it professionally checked. That situation is what ultimately made me decide to build my own. (And when you say lift the body, I hope you mean suspension) Anyways, hope I didnt come off sounding rude or arrogant! I appreciate what you do for this country! I do what I can by doing Search And Rescue, thats about the extent of my service lol. anyways have a good one and get home safe.

-Jake
You are welcome!! I agree with that saying in every automotive hobby. I have always said "Its not what you bought, but what I built" My final purpose is to have a rig that can get me through Armageddon... not really but seriously... I want to be able to get myself out of almost any situation. So this is the first stage of the build. In 2 more years I will come into another sum of money. By then or then I will be wanting to do a sheet metal dash, 4 Racing seats and exo-cage. Maybe even go higher in the lift and 35"s. And work towards competing in events. That is why I want to do WF to get a feel for it. I know the guy that owns the jeep.. I emaild him and he told me who he was. I went to high school with him. I trust him to tell me the truth and I will have my mechanic go check it out. About the body lift. Isn't there a way to lift the body say 2"?? Or is this bad and more of a ghetto lift? Please and thank you.

You didn't offend me. You are helping me out lol. I appreciate what you do, its a service to some one other than your self!!! What exactly do you do in search and rescue? Feel free to PM me about it. I am looking for a nother career since when I get home I will be going to the National Guard.

-Rhett
Old 12-17-2009, 03:05 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

You are welcome!! I agree with that saying in every automotive hobby. I have always said "Its not what you bought, but what I built" My final purpose is to have a rig that can get me through Armageddon... not really but seriously... I want to be able to get myself out of almost any situation. So this is the first stage of the build. In 2 more years I will come into another sum of money. By then or then I will be wanting to do a sheet metal dash, 4 Racing seats and exo-cage. Maybe even go higher in the lift and 35"s. And work towards competing in events. That is why I want to do WF to get a feel for it. I know the guy that owns the jeep.. I emaild him and he told me who he was. I went to high school with him. I trust him to tell me the truth and I will have my mechanic go check it out. About the body lift. Isn't there a way to lift the body say 2"?? Or is this bad and more of a ghetto lift? Please and thank you.

You didn't offend me. You are helping me out lol. I appreciate what you do, its a service to some one other than your self!!! What exactly do you do in search and rescue? Feel free to PM me about it. I am looking for a nother career since when I get home I will be going to the National Guard.

-Rhett
Thank you for you service. Im with 91laredo on this, i can only do SAR for now. maybe CSAR in my future as soon as highschool is done. PJ's kick ***

Sounds like you have everything planned out. But one thing you should know is, XJ's cant do a body lift. its a unibody which means its body and frame is one. Cant be seperated. But you can do a cheap budget boots which consists of a spacer for up front and shackles for the rear

And the SAR me and 91 do is all volunteer, which in a way kinda sucks but its well worth it when you save someone's life
Old 12-18-2009, 01:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 H.O I6

-Rhett

Thanks a lot Rhett! Thats good that you know the guy and trust the guy, its a whole nother ball of wax when you dont lol. Haha sounds like you and I have the same dream with our rigs! Lol and as far as the body lift goes, you cant. Haha not because its ghetto, but because all cherokees are unibody, so suspension is the only way you can go. But you can still do a 2 inch budget boost for fairly cheap, just a 2 inch spacer for your front coils and a shackle for the rear leafs. Yeah, Ill be sure to send you a PM about SAR, its pretty fun, unfortunately I dont get to get paid for it though lol. Have a good one!

-Jake

Quick Reply: Need to build for Winterfest '10