Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first Jeep: White 97 Cherokee Sport build.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 03:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default My first Jeep: White 97 Cherokee Sport build.

I had this posted on introductions for some reason and wasn't sure how to move it so decided to just copy and paste it all to a new form under builds.

I purchased my first Jeep in July of 2014.

I recently purchased my first Jeep about 3 weeks ago. Bought a 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport with 86000 on the odometer for $3000. After getting home with it and crawling under it again I noticed the engine appeared to be one out of a different Jeep (96 Jeep was wrote on the bottom of engine). Body is in pretty good shape with a couple minor dents. When purchased it I knew it needed new windshield and a ujoint in the near future. I drove it home 250, it started idling a little weird at a couple stop signs but not too bad. Once home I replaced the passengers side Ujoint which seemed to get way worse on the drive home (going to do the drivers eventually).

After about two days of driving it started getting worse and had soot coming out of the tailpipe . After searching lots of threads on here I decided to change plugs, wires and distributor cap. The plugs were covered in soot and looked pretty old. After replacing those it did not help at all in the idling issue. After more searching I decided to take off the throttle body and clean it and the IAC and TPS. This also did not fix the problem and it continued to get worse. I purchased a new TPS and IAC to try but neither seemed to fix the issue. I returned the IAC but kept the TPS because it looked pretty rough.

I decided to take it to a mechanic in town who did free diagnostic checks. His computer was not advance enough to read it fully but he said it was losing connection around the crankshaft position sensor. I decided to just try that ( since i read they are known to go out) as well as the 02 sensor. For about 2 minutes of driving it ran better but not perfect. It started getting worse and would barely run, it was acting like it did not get fuel when giving it gas it would sputter and almost die. I once again took it in to get checked out since I had changed the CPS. They said it was showing high voltage around the MAP and rear 02 sensor but once again the system the used was not good enough to tell for sure. I finally decided to take it to a mechanic they recommended with a better system. They came to the conclusion that it was the MAP after they did an override and it ran perfect. So MAP was replaced and now it runs good!

It still has a few minor things that need fixed, plan on replacing front brake pads and other ujoint this weekend as well as change the oil. Checked the antifreeze and its looking pretty dirty so plan on draining that and replacing in the next week or two and plan on changing transmission and diff fluid in the near future. I have noticed that when in drive there is a vibration on the floor board that sounds like metal to metal. It mainly does this when accelerating and when at a stop in gear. Of course I try to get it to do it when I am actually at home so I can crawl under and figure it out but it won't do it then.

Other future things to do is remove seats and clean the carpet (its a little dirty), need to check CEL light because it is not working, replace headliner that is sagging and tint windows with tint i already purchased. I also am in search of a lift kit in the next few months to purchase. I have 5 crager wheels on BFG Mud Terrain KM2's 31 10.5 15's I bought for $225 from a family member, 3 tires are almost brand new so have to purchase 2 new ones. Also plan on purchasing a Tcase skid plate soon to do some off road parks around here while its stock to see how it does.

It is a work in progress and will probably be done a little at a time. I am really excited to finally be part of the Jeep community though!
Thanks for looking at my thread and sorry its so long!

"Flexing" the stock suspension

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.

The day i purchased it before the drive home

The wheels and tires that will go on after lift

Old 03-26-2015, 03:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Replacing brake pads and driver side ujoint. (did the passengers a couple weeks ago)

Click this bar to view the full image.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Noticed this after buying the Jeep. I am thinking the frame may have cracked at the steering box. But also it looks like a steering box brace I have seen online. I have had no issues with it since I bought it though.

Click this bar to view the full image.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Name:  20140906_174841_zpsff8db127.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  79.6 KB

Not too many mods yet. Tinted the windows and finally got my hella 500 lights installed on the bumper.
I plan on replacing some ball joints and the thermostat/coolant this weekend.

My new plan for now is to get a 2" budget lift until I am able to save up the money for a 3" lift. I am able to get the spacers from someone so only have to buy the shackles.

I ended up going with a 3" zone lift kit instead of the budget boost
Old 03-26-2015, 03:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Got my lift in February

Finally got my lift done! Zone 3" lift full leaf with nitro shocks and IRO double shear track bar. The lift was a pain in the ***. I decided to go with the rear first because its suppose to be easier. The bolts were all rusted even after being sprayed with PB blast for a week. I ended up cutting off the rear two and found out it doesn't come with new bolts. It was the weekend so had to wait until monday to get new ones. Finally got that done and flew through the front. I had replaced leaf springs before on another vehicle so had more experience with that. The front was a piece of cake compared to the back. Was told i would have to redrill the holes for the track bar too but that wasn't the case. Everything came off very easy. I will probably have to trim the bumpers due to rubbing at flex.

Here are a few pics, my goal next is to get some rock sliders this summer.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Took it on its first offroad trip on 2/28

Finally did some offroading this weekend. The weather got pretty nasty and made it slick but had a blast!

Old 03-26-2015, 03:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Took it a couple weeks ago on its second off road trip. It was pretty muddy but it did pretty well. didn't do any real tough hills because my buddy in the Tacoma didn't want to mess anything up on his. Had a blast and plan on going again in a few weeks!

Seasoned Member

So picked up a gas tank skid off of CL for $35! Not too often you see those so I jumped on it quick. I am working on cleaning it up and painting it now. I plan on doing it black with Jeep spelled out in white facing the back. I know it won't be seen very well but figured I would try it and see how it looks

Seasoned Member

This weekend had to do a little maintenance! The wheel cylinder started leaking on me bad. I was needing to replace the shoes so after about 30 minutes of beating on the drum I finally got it off! This is what it looked like.

It was pretty nasty under there. It was my first time doing drum brakes so it was an experience. I used a link on the forum to help out though. It was kind of time consuming being my first time but I think I got it done right "I hope"
Bleed the brakes a little but I think they need more when I have someone to help.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:38 AM
Seasoned Member

While replacing the wheel cylinder this weekend I also decide to remove the rear sway bar. I plan on going with some friends in a few weeks to the local park again so curious to see how much more flex it has now.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:44 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0l

Not sure if you have already fixed it but the vibration in the floorboard may be from a bad/collapsed trans mount. Myself and several other have had the same thing happen. It causes the tailpipe to hit the crossmember.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Mine was the exhaust but i think it was because my pipe was separating from the muffler so it was hanging down. I replaced the muffler and tail pipe and it fixed the issue!

I have had a lot of little issues with this thing but I am beginning to get it all worked out!
Old 03-26-2015, 11:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Name:  IMAG0308_zpsu84fixg2.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  148.8 KB

Taped the letters to it and painted the first coat. Hopefully it turns out decent but if not i will just paint over the letters. Have 4 coats on the whole thing but only one where the letters are. Plan on installing it this weekend.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Name:  IMAG0309_zpsjfpvt84p.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  122.1 KB

The lines on the letters didn't turn out as good as I wanted. I plan on taping the letters off on the black side and repaint the white again. It turned out decent though. Nothing too fancy.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Name:  IMAG0310_zps511xwlkj.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  121.7 KB

Name:  IMAG0312_zps8pyh4htj.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  105.1 KB

A couple pictures of my brake shoes after changing. Needless to say they were a little past due!

Quick Reply: My first Jeep: White 97 Cherokee Sport build.