Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My '88 Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default My '88 Cherokee

I've been wanting an XJ for a while, I really didn't want an immaculate one because of the plans I had for it so I found this one on Craigslist for $800. It's got 230k on the clock but it starts every time with no smoke or death rattles. The heat & a/c both work, but the whole truck was just nasty. There was caked on mud & grease underneath, and the interior was just gross. I'm glad I know where a cheap car wash is, lol. After driving it around for a few weeks to see how mechanically sound it was, I started modifying it.

Here's a pic when I got it:

Then I saw an ad for some Rubicon Express 5.5" coils & leaf packs, with a pro comp track bar, brake lines, and some pucks & blocks (which I didn't wind up using) for $300 & picked them up. Then I ordered the Rough Country long arm upgrade kit, which is just the arms & crossmember, and picked up 5 Bassett 15x8's & got some 33x12.50 Goodyear Duratracs.

Here's the back done, it sat for about two weeks like this because of my work schedule:

Lift done, I didn't take any pics while doing the lift, I also picked up some JKS quick disconnects, new upper control arm bushings in the axle, and Skyjacker shocks. I Herculined the rear cargo area because there was no saving the carpet, lol. The front section of carpet I pulled & took it to the car wash and blasted it really good. That was pretty gross, but it looks 100% better now so I decided to keep it.

I got some clean seats & a bunch of other parts from a guy who was parting out another XJ so I'll be installing that stuff soon.

I did my headliner today, I wanted something different, lol. I'll install it tomorrow when the glue is dry & I cut it all out.:

It's a zebra pattern, the pic has a wierd optical illusion making it look like it as ridges, it doesnt.

My plans:

Bumpers & winch. I've had the winch for a couple of years, I got it in trade for some Mustang parts I used to have.

Black out all the trim & emblems.

"Frame" reinforcement & sliders

Olive drab paint job. I've sprayed CARC & other mil spec paints & other paints for about 15 years. I don't do it anymore but I might still have a hook up to get some expired material. It can't be used on government parts but It will work just fine for me. I don't want to use real CARC but I might be able to get the same colors in an epoxy or polyurethane, and both are really durable.

Since I live in Texas, I gotta have some tint.

Stereo, I already have one laying around I plan to use.

Roof rack & lights.

Rear mount spare somehow.

So that's it for now. I haven't wheeled it yet, I got bumped to nights at work so I havent had the chance. I've driven it to work several times, I didn't drop the transfer or have an SYE. The long arms mixed with the RE springs ride better than it did stock. I haven't got an alignment yet, but I can drive down the highway at 70 with two fingers on the wheel and no vibrations or pulling.

So that's it for now. Since I've found this site, I'll be sure to take more pics of the mods when I get to them.

Aaron

Last edited by Aaron_L; 04-13-2011 at 02:01 AM.